|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Sholinganallur|
Puzhuthivakkam, commonly known as Ullagaram-Puzhuthivakkam, is one of the southern suburbs of Chennai. It is now a part of Chennai Corporation after the expansion of the city in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It neighbours the suburbs of Madipakkam, Adambakkam, Velachery, Pallikaranai and Nanganallur. This suburb of Chennai started to grow in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Upon completion of the MRTS extension line, the neighbourhood will be served by Puzhuthivakkam railway station. As of 2011, the town had a population of 53,322.
According to 2011 census, Puzhithivakkam had a population of 53,322 with a sex-ratio of 992 females for every 1,000 males, much above the national average of 929. A total of 5,280 were under the age of six, constituting 2,679 males and 2,601 females. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes accounted for 5.39% and .21% of the population respectively. The average literacy of the town was 85.55%, compared to the national average of 72.99%. The town had a total of 13918 households. There were a total of 20,004 workers, comprising 39 cultivators, 67 main agricultural labourers, 246 in house hold industries, 18,599 other workers, 1,053 marginal workers, 26 marginal cultivators, 11 marginal agricultural labourers, 30 marginal workers in household industries and 986 other marginal workers.
Puzhuthivakkam has a bus stand. Nowadays buses ply directly from this bus stand to Koyambedu, High Court, Chennai Central Railway Station, Guduvanchery, Sriperumbudur etc. The most popular bus service (run by the State Government of Tamil Nadu) i.e,. "Small Bus" runs through this area. This bus called as "S13" links Guindy Race course bus stand to Velachery MRTS Railway Station. More buses are expected to ply, as the road connecting to Velachery is now operational. Balaji nagar main road connects Puzhuthivakkam and Adambakkam. The construction of the extension NH45 with the name IRR(Inner Ring Road, Chennai) from OTA to Velachery is also putting this area under a fast developing areas of Chennai. Perungudi - St.Thomas Mount
|Previous bus stop||This Stop||Next Stop|
|N/A||Puzhuthivakkam Bus Terminus||Ullagaram (Prime Care Hosp)|
First School opened their Play/Pre School on June 9, 2014 at #50, Ganesh Nagar Main Road, Puzhuthivakkam. It is the Best fully facilitate Pre/Play School Center which offers Pre School, Play School, Day Care & After School etc for kids. The activities are designed around age appropriate learning abilities, so that they take what is needed and right for them. It provides high quality care and education for children aged 2 – 5 years, Provide a friendly, safe and caring environment where children can learn at their own pace through the use of a variety of resources and stimulating activities. Cater for all areas of the child's development: emotional, physical, social, creative, aesthetic, cognitive & language. Encourage children to become independent, build the child's confidence and help the transition between preschool and primary school. Work in partnership with parents to help children to learn and develop and to keep them informed of their child's development and well being at all times.
Places of worship
There are several places of worship in this locality. A few of them include:
- Shri Vijaya Ganapathy Temple (Ullagaram)
- Shri Anchaneya temple at Hindu colony (Ullagaram)
- Shri Badala Vigneshwara temple (Puzhuthivakkam)
- Shri Drowpathy Amman temple at Vanuvampet (Ullagaram)
- St. Judes Catholic Church at Vanuvampet
- CSI St. James Church (Ullagaram)
- Sri Ramar temple at Ram Nagar (Puzhuthivakkam)
- Moovarasampet Mosque
- Shri Bala Vinayagar Temple at Near Bus Stand
- Balamurugan Balaganapathy Temple at Jothiramalingam Street
Shops and facilities
Puzhuthivakkam is now a bustling business entrepot as the number of shops and commercial establishments like departmental stores, bakery and confectionery are gradually increasing. A large number of pharmacies are present here catering the needs of many people.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals - Puzhithivakkam". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- First School at Puzhuthivakkam
- Ram Temple at Puzhuthivakkam
- The plight of Commuters to/from Puzhuthivakkam