|This article does not cite any sources. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Pyaar means Love and comes from the Sanskrit word "Priya", for the Lord and His creation. This is one of five virtues that is vigorously promoted by the Sikh Gurus. The other four qualities in the arsenal are Truth (Sat), Contentment (Santosh), Compassion (Daya) and Humility (Nimrata). These five qualities are essential to a Sikh and it is their duty to meditate and recite the Gurbani so that these virtues become a part of their mind set.
This is a very positive and powerful tool in the Sikhs' arsenal of virtues. When one's mind is full of love, the person will overlook deficiency in others and accept them wholeheartedly as a product of God. Sikhism asks all believers to take on "god-like" virtues and this perhaps is the most "god-like" characteristic of all. Gurbani tells us that Waheguru is a "loving God", full of compassion and kindness. It is the duty of the Sikh to take on qualities of this nature and to easily forgive; to never hate anyone; to live in His Hukam ("Will") and to practise compassion and humility.
"My mind is imbued with the Lord's Love; it is dyed a deep crimson. Truth and charity are my white clothes." (Guru Granth Sahib page 16) Ones mind has to be immersed in "love" of the Lord at all times to comply with this line from Gurbani. "Join the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation, and find the Lord. The Gurmukh embraces love for the Lord." (Guru Granth Sahib page 22) and "Attuned to the Love of the One, there is no sorrow or suffering. ||3||" (Guru Granth Sahib page 45), when one loves the Lord, all their sorrows and suffering are removed.
- Sing, and listen, and let your mind be filled with love.
- gaavee-ai sunee-ai man rakhee-ai bhaa-o. (Guru Granth Sahib page 2 line 42)
- The mind and body become spotlessly pure, enshrining love for the True Lord.
- man tan nirmal ho-i-aa laagee saach pareet. (Guru Granth Sahib page 48 line 1960)
- Let the Fear of God be your feet, and let His Love be your hands; let His Understanding be your eyes.
- bhai kay charan kar bhaav kay lo-in surat karay-i. (Guru Granth Sahib page 139 line 5658)