Pyramid (The Alan Parsons Project album)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Studio album by|
|Released||1 June 1978|
|Recorded||September 1977 – February 1978|
|Studio||Abbey Road Studios, London, England|
|The Alan Parsons Project chronology|
Pyramid (stylized as Pyr△mid) is the third album by progressive rock band The Alan Parsons Project, released in 1978. It is a concept album centred on the pyramids of Giza. At the time the album was conceived, interest in pyramid power and Tutankhamun was widespread in the US and the UK. Pyramid was nominated for the 1978 Grammy Award for Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical.
|2.||"What Goes Up..."||David Paton and Dean Ford||3:31|
|3.||"The Eagle Will Rise Again"||Colin Blunstone||4:20|
|4.||"One More River"||Lenny Zakatek||4:15|
|5.||"Can't Take It With You"||Dean Ford||5:06|
|1.||"In the Lap of the Gods"||instrumental||5:27|
|4.||"Shadow of a Lonely Man"||John Miles||5:34|
Pyramid was remastered and reissued in 2008 with the following bonus tracks:
- "Voyager/What Goes Up/The Eagle Will Rise Again" (instrumental) - 8:55
- "What Goes Up/Little Voice" (early version demo) - 4:07
- "Can't Take It With You" (early version demo) - 1:45
- "Hyper-Gamma-Spaces" (demo) - 2:21
- "The Eagle Will Rise Again" (alternate version – backing track) - 3:20
- "In the Lap of the Gods" (Part I – demo) - 3:14
- "In the Lap of the Gods" (Part II – backing track rough mix) - 1:56
- David Paton – bass, vocals
- Stuart Elliott – drums, percussion
- Ian Bairnson – electric and acoustic guitars
- Eric Woolfson, Duncan Mackay – keyboards
- Dean Ford, Colin Blunstone, Lenny Zakatek, John Miles, Jack Harris – vocals
- Phil Kenzie – saxophone solos on "One More River"
- Choir: The English Chorale, Choirmaster: Bob Howes
- Produced and engineered by Alan Parsons
- Executive production: Eric Woolfson
- Arrangements: Andrew Powell
- Album cover design: Hipgnosis
|1978||The Billboard 200||26|
|1978||UK Albums Chart||49|
Certifications and sales
|Canada (Music Canada)||2× Platinum||200,000^|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Gold||7,500^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- DeGagne, Mike. Pyramid at AllMusic
- "Canadian album certifications – Alan Parsons Project – Pyramids". Music Canada.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Alan Parsons Project; 'Pyramids')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "New Zealand album certifications – Alan Parsons Project – Pyramids". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved 1 June 2019.
- "American album certifications – Alan Parsons Project – Pyramids". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.
- "Top Sales - Arista Records". Billboard. 27 January 1979. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- Pyramid, Alan Parsons Project. Arista Records AB 4180, 1978 (Vinyl LP)