Q-type Queens car (New York City Subway car)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Q-Type (and QX) was a New York City Subway car rebuilt in 1938 by the Brooklyn–Manhattan Transit Corporation (BMT) for elevated railway service to the 1939 New York World's Fair from BU cars in the 1200 and 1400 series, elevated stock originally built in 1903 and in 1907.
After BMT service on the joint IRT-BMT Flushing Line ended in 1949, the Q-types were refitted for operation of the IRT Third Avenue Line in Manhattan. After the latter line closed in 1955, the Q-types were refitted again to operate on the BMT Myrtle Avenue Line in 1958 to replace the last elevated gate cars in passenger service. When the lower part of the Myrtle Avenue Line closed in 1969, the Q-types were finally retired. The oldest of the cars were in revenue service for 66 years, currently the longest such service life in New York City rapid transit operations.
Car 1612C (ex-BU 1417) is preserved at the New York Transit Museum. It is never used for trips since it is a one of a kind car today, and may not be compatible with the BU cars in the museum now. The only other surviving Q-type is 1602C, which is at the Trolley Museum of New York., awaiting restoration, coupled with that museum's other subway car units.
- Car Builder: Jewett Car Company, Newark, Ohio
- Re-built by: Brooklyn–Manhattan Transit Corporation
- Car Body: Wood with steel frames and ends
- Unit Numbers: 1600-1629 A-B-C (Q) and 1630-1641 A-B (QX)
- Fleet: 114 cars assembled into 42 operating units
- Car Length: 49 feet 3 inches (15.01 m)
- Car Width: 8 feet 8 inches (2.64 m)
- Car Height: 12 feet (3.66 m)
- Track Gauge: 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) (standard gauge)
- Propulsion System: WH 225113 (Q)/ WH 225112 (QX)
- Motors(1 per motor truck on Q, 2 per motor truck on QX): GE 259, WH 336 (Q)/ WH 300 (QX)
- Power: 120 hp (89 kW) per motor (Q)/ 200 hp (150 kW) per motor (QX)
- Total Seating: 50 seats (A and C cars), 52 seats (B car)(Q)/ 50 seats (A and B cars)(QX)
- Total Weight: 57,000 lb (26,000 kg)