A screenshot of qBittorrent v3.1.8 running under Ubuntu MATE
|Developer(s)||Sledgehammer999, Christophe Dumez, Ishan Arora, Stefanos Antaris, Mohamadad Dib|
|Initial release||March 2006|
|Stable release||3.2.1 (July 11, 2015[±])|
|Preview release||N/A [±]|
|Written in||C++ (Qt)|
|Operating system||FreeBSD, Linux, Mac OS X, OS/2, Windows|
|Available in||35 languages|
qBittorrent is written in the C++ programming language (utilizing the Boost C++ libraries) and, thus, is a native application. It also uses the Qt framework, version 4 or 5. Its optional search engine is written in the Python programming language; users not willing to install Python can choose not to use the search functionality.
It aims to have a small footprint, to be powerful, to be intuitive, and to be visually attractive, going beyond the current functions widely provided by other applications. qBittorrent is an attempt to provide a μTorrent (or "uTorrent") equivalent that is open-source and multi-platform and in adding a streaming-like function to let users download and play video files. qBittorrent currently offers functionality comparable to other BitTorrent clients, such as Vuze but without requiring the Java Virtual Machine. qBittorrent requires Python only for the search engine, while other clients such as Deluge and BitTornado require it for the BitTorrent protocol itself. For its BitTorrent and μTP implementation, qBittorrent uses the Rasterbar libtorrent library, which is itself written in C++.
|This section requires expansion. (June 2012)|
Some of the features present in qBittorrent include:
- Sequential downloading (stream torrent media files)
- Unicode support, availability in 35 languages
- Cross platform (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X)
- Integrated torrent search engine
- Integrated RSS feed reader and downloader
- DHT, PeX, Encryption, LSD, UPnP, NAT-PMP, µTP
- Torrent queuing, filtering, and prioritizing
- Bandwidth scheduler
- IP filtering (eMule dat files or PeerGuardian files)
- IPv6 compliant
- Control over torrent trackers
- Torrent creation tool
- Remote control through Secure Web User Interface
- Bind all traffic to a specific interface
qBittorrent is cross-platform, available on Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, OS/2, and FreeBSD.
As of September 2012, downloads on SourceForge indicate the Windows version of the application was the most popular of all platforms that qBittorrent supports. SourceForge statistics report that 89% of downloads were for the Windows version of the software.
Packages for different Linux distributions are available, though most are provided through official channels by the distributions themselves.
- "Team members", qBittorrent.org
- qBittorrent Win32 Build, SourceForge.net
- qBittorrent unstable builds, SourceForge.net
- "qBittorrent", Analysis Summary (Ohloh), retrieved 2012-08-23
- "Localization of qBittorrent". qBittorrent.org. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- "COPYING file", qBittorrent.org
- "qBittorrent Official Website".
- "qBittorrent is under a new maintainer.". qBittorrent official forums.
- "Download Statistics: All Files". SourceForge.
- "Download", qBittorrent.org
- "qBittorrent – A Polished, Simple & Reliable Cross-Platform BitTorrent Client". MakeUseOf. 3 February 2011. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- Martin Brinkmann (21 February 2012). "Looking For A uTorrent Alternative? Try qBittorrent". Ghacks. gHacks Technology News. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to QBittorrent.|