This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (October 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
QStar Technologies is a software company based in the United States. Initially designed to support large format optical drives and libraries on the SunOS platform, the company produces software and hardware for computer data storage management and archiving software using operating systems including Windows, Linux, Unix and Mac OS.
QStar was founded in 1987 in Bethesda, Maryland by Brian Swafford. Its European headquarters was established in Milan, Italy in 1994. The company's corporate headquarters is located in Navarre, Florida, with a network of distributors and resellers.
Software and hardware
QStar develops archive and data management software for storage devices. It supports several archive technologies (Tape, Optical, RDX, RAID, object storage and cloud) from several archive vendors. Options include proprietary and industry-standard file systems, such as Linear Tape File System and Universal Disk Format.
QStar promotes a policy where three copies of data are stored, consisting of a performance copy, a secure copy and a disaster recovery copy. Ideally this is achieved using a blend of two storage technologies - disk based and removable media. One copy always needs to be off-site at a remote site.
In 2010, QStar helped found the Active Archive Alliance  a collaborative industry association to educate end user organizations on new technologies designed to help reliably store and retrieve archived data.
- Archive Manager —Archive software to manage LTO tape and optical (including Blu-ray) storage libraries and other archive technologies
- Archive Replicator —file-based replication for local and remote archive storage providing automatic disaster protection
- Data Director —block-based mirroring of media within one or multiple archive storage libraries
- Simulated Media Library -- Virtual Optical and Tape library software to run on RAID hardware
- Network Migrator —Policy-based tiered storage and data lifecycle management automated tiered storage with data migration
- Master and Axxess -- Tertiary Archive software to manage CD and DVD storage libraries
- SntrySTR – Archive Storage Appliance with pre-installed QStar software