|• Also spelled||Kubalan (unofficial)|
|Name meaning||Fronting, or possibly from Kublan, a corruption of the Turkish word for lion.|
Qabalan (Arabic: قبلان) is a Palestinian town in the Nablus Governorate in the eastern West Bank, located 19 kilometers (12 mi) southeast of Nablus. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS), the town had a population of 7,130 inhabitants in 2007.
Qabalan is located 13.4 kilometers (8.3 mi) south of Nablus. It is bordered by Aqraba and Jurish to the east, Talfit and As Sawiya to the south, As Sawiya and Yatma to the west, and Beita and Osarin to the north.
The SWP noted that: "the ruin to the east [of the village] consists of heaps of stones".
In 1517, the village was included in the Ottoman empire with the rest of Palestine, and it appeared in the 1596 tax-records as Qabalan, located in the Nahiya of Jabal Qubal of the Liwa of Nablus. The population was 4 households, all Muslim. They paid a fixed tax rate of 33,3% on agricultural products, such as wheat, barley, olive trees, goats and beehives, in addition to occasional revenues and a fixed tax for people of Nablus area; a total of 2,410 Akçe. Sherds from the early Ottoman era have also been found here.
British Mandate era
In 1945 Qabalan had a population of 1,310, all Muslims, with 8,290 dunams of land, according to an official land and population survey. Of this, 3,948 dunams were plantations and irrigable land, 2,383 were used for cereals, while 71 dunams were built-up land.
According to ARIJ, 67% of the village land is in Area B, while the remaining 33% is in Area C. There have been a number of attacks on the people of Qabalan, their land and property from the nearby Israeli settlements.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 237
- 2007 PCBS Census. Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics. p.110.
- Qabalan town profile, ARIJ, p. 4
- Finkelstein et al, 1997, p. 656
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 358
- Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 131
- Robinson and Smith, vol 3, p. 92
- Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 3, Appendix 2, p. 128
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 288
- Barron, 1923, Table IX, Sub-district of Nablus, p. 25
- Mills, 1932, p. 63
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 19
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 60
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 107
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 157
- Government of Jordan, Department of Statistics, 1964, p. 26
- Qabalan town profile, ARIJ, p. 17
- Shin Bet: Israel's Extreme Rightists Organizing Into Terror Groups, Chaim Levinson and Oz Rosenberg, Sep. 13, 2011, Haaretz
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology. 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Finkelstein, Israel; Lederman, Zvi, eds. (1997). Highlands of many cultures. Tel Aviv: Institute of Archaeology of Tel Aviv University Publications Section. ISBN 965-440-007-3.
- Government of Jordan, Department of Statistics (1964). First Census of Population and Housing. Volume I: Final Tables; General Characteristics of the Population (PDF).
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics (1945). Village Statistics, April, 1945.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Hütteroth, Wolf-Dieter; Abdulfattah, Kamal (1977). Historical Geography of Palestine, Transjordan and Southern Syria in the Late 16th Century. Erlanger Geographische Arbeiten, Sonderband 5. Erlangen, Germany: Vorstand der Fränkischen Geographischen Gesellschaft. ISBN 3-920405-41-2.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Robinson, Edward; Smith, Eli (1841). Biblical Researches in Palestine, Mount Sinai and Arabia Petraea: A Journal of Travels in the year 1838. 3. Boston: Crocker & Brewster.