Qalyubia Governorate on the map of Egypt
|• Governor||Alaa Abdul-Halim Mohammed Marzouk |
|• Total||1,001 km2 (386 sq mi)|
|Population (January 2018)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
Qalyubia Governorate (Egyptian Arabic: محافظة القليوبية Moḥāfẓet El Alyobeya Egyptian Arabic pronunciation: [elʔæljoˈbejjæ]) is one of the governorates of Egypt. Located in Lower Egypt, it is situated north of Cairo in the Nile Delta region. Its capital is Benha.
Benha and several other settlements blend into the neighboring Cairo Governorate; as a result, parts of Qalyubia (particularly Shubra El Kheima) are generally considered to form part of the Greater Cairo metropolitan area (along with Cairo governorate, Giza city and 6 October city).
|1937–2006, 2015 is an estimate|
According to population estimates from 2015 the majority of residents in the governorate live in rural areas, with an urbanization rate of only 44.7%. Out of an estimated 5,105,972 people residing in the governorate, 2,825,045 people live in rural areas as opposed to only 2,280,927 in urban areas. 
The cities in the Qalyubia Governorate are:
- Shibin El Qanater
- Shubra El Kheima
- El Qanater El Khayreya
- Kafr Shukr
- Obour City
According to the Egyptian Governing Authority for Investment and Free Zones (GAFI), in affiliation with the Ministry of Investment (MOI), the following industrial zones are located in this governorate:
- Al Shorouk
- Al Safa
- Al Aqrasha
- (New urban community) Al Obour industrial zone
Qalyubia is known for its agricultural production of crops, fruits and vegetables. The most important of these crops include maize, cotton, wheat, citrus fruits, bananas, oranges and apricots. Qalyubia is also the leading Egyptian governorate in the production of poultry and eggs.
In 1981, the Basic Village Service Program (BVS) had several water projects going on in the Qalyubia Governorate.
In a program that began on August 28, 2012 (through 2018), the European Union invested 40 million Euros on upgrading the infrastructure of informal areas in Qalyubia Governorate.
- "الجهاز المركزي للتعبئة العامة والإحصاء". www.capmas.gov.eg. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- "رسمياً.. المحافظون الجدد ونوابهم يؤدون اليمين الدستورية أمام الرئيس". Almasry Alyoum (in Arabic). 30 August 2018.
- "Population History (Al Qalyūbīyah)Population, 1966–2006". Statoids. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Population Estimates By Sex & Governorate 1/1/2015" (PDF). CAPMAS. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- "Investment Regimes, Industrial Zones of Governorate". Ministry of Investment Egypt. Archived from the original on 30 October 2016. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Egypt: The Basic Village Services Program" (PDF). USAID. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- "Upgrading Informal Areas in the Greater Cairo Region". European Union External Action.