Qatar Scientific Club
|Founder||Government of Qatar|
|Ahmad bin Khalid Al Thani (Chairman)|
The organization's mission is to create a suitable atmosphere for the practices of scientific hobbies; encourage scientific activities among the younger population, and increase their interest in the sciences.
The club was established in 1987 under a decree which was issued by the vice chairman of Qatar Youth Welfare higher council as a response to a request which was submitted by twenty-five members. Initially, the club only had two sections which were Electronics and Electricity, however, the number of sections increased as the club members number was growing.
Departments and sections
The club consists of a number of departments including astronomy, aviation, engineering and others. There is a dedicated Young Scientists department where children can join and participate in different scientific experiments and activities. Due to cultural reasons, female members have a separate department which is called "Scientific Girl Club" and it runs its activities separately from the other main departments; however there is collaboration between these departments.
In 2008, the club launched the "Green Computer" project in association with Microsoft. The project sought to recycle outdated and discarded computers from companies and homes so that they can be re-used by peoples of lower income. In 2012, the project received funding by the Commercial Bank of Qatar in the form of a QR200,000 grant, in addition to receiving funding from Microsoft. The project also began extending its operations to other countries the same year.
The QSC conducted a joint-venture with Qatar Science & Technology Park when it co-hosted the "Future Scientist Summer Camp 2010". The main aim of the camp was to explain scientific and technological themes to a predicted 1,000 children between the ages of 6 to 16. It featured interactive exhibits and workshops.
- "Qatar Yearbook 2009" (PDF). Qatar Embassy in Poland. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "النادي العلمي القطري :: عن النادي" [Qatar Science Club: About the club] (in Arabic). Qatar Science Club. Archived from the original on January 11, 2013. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- "Green project brings junk PCs back to life". The Peninsula Qatar. 29 September 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "QSC to donate computers among needy countries". The Peninsula Qatar. 18 May 2012. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Summer science camp for kids". The Peninsula Qatar. 1 July 2010. Retrieved 7 February 2015.