Qatar at the 2004 Summer Olympics
|Qatar at the Olympic Games|
|At the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens|
|Competitors||15 (15 men, 0 women) in 4 sports|
|Flag bearer||Khaled Habash M. Al Suwaidi|
|Olympic history (summary)|
Results by event
Only two Qatari athletes made a final in their events, both in the 3000 metre steeplechase. Neither runner was born in Qatar, with Saifeldin from Sudan and Amer from Kenya originally. Despite a personal best in the final, Amer could not get past his three countrymen competing for Kenya. A major setback for the Qatari team came when Kenya refused to waive the 3-year Olympic waiting period for Saif Saeed Shaheen (originally Stephen Cherono), the 2003 World Champion in the steeplechase.
- Majed Saeed Sultan
- Round 1: 1:47.92 (4th in heat 7, did not advance, 49th overall)
- Abdulrahman Suleiman
- Round 1: 3:42.00 (11th in heat 2, did not advance, 28th overall)
- Sultan Khamis Zaman
- Round 1: 13:26.52 (9th in heat 1, did not advance, 16th overall)
- Ahmed Jumaa Jaber
- 2:20:27 (38th overall)
- Musa Obaid Amer
- Heat: 8:23.94 (1st in heat 3, Qualified, 14th overall)
- Final: 8:07.18 (4th overall) (Personal Best)
- Khamis Abdullah Saifeldin
- Heat: 8:17.89 (1st in heat 1, Qualified, 4th overall) (Season Best)
- Final: 8:36.66 (15th overall)
- Abdulrahman Faraj Al Nubi
- Qualification: 7.41 m (19th in Group B, did not advance, 37th overall)
- Ibrahim Mohamdein Aboubaker
- Qualification: 16.71 m (9th in Group A, did not advance, 16th overall)
- Khaled Habash Al Suwaidi
- Round 1, 19.04 metres (15th in Group B, did not advance, 30th overall)
- Ahmad Hassan Moussa
- Did not finish
- 100 metres: 10.79 s (907 points)
- Long Jump: 7.04 m (823 points) (Total: 1731 points)
- Shot Put: 13.32 m (687 points) (Total: 2418 points)
- High Jump: 1.82 m (644 points) (Total: 3062 points)
- 400 metres: 48.73 s (874 points) (Total: 3936 points)
- 110 metre Hurdles: Did not finish
- Did not finish
In an extremely close men's Skeet event, Nasser Al-Attiyah survived a five-man shoot-off in the qualification round to make the final. In the final, he shot perfectly, but so did two of the men tied with him, setting up another shoot-off for a bronze medal, which Al-Attiya lost by just a single point.
- Rashid Al-Athba
- Qualification: 132 points (11th overall, did not advance)
- Nasser Al-Attiyah
- Qualification: 122 points (Shoot-off: 4 points) (T-3rd overall, Qualified)
- Final: 25 points (Shoot-off: 9 points) (4th overall)
Qatar's only swimmer at the Games finished 12 seconds behind the time needed to progress.
- Anas Sameer N H Abuyousuf
- Heat: 4:11.99 (43rd overall, did not advance)
Both Qatari weightlifters were born in Bulgaria, but changed nationality to Qatari. Asaad won a bronze medal at the 2000 Olympics, and had he completed any of his three Clean & Jerk attempts in Athens, would have won a second medal.
- Nader Sufyan Abbas
- 355.0 kg (Snatch: 160.0 kg, Clean & Jerk: 195.0 kg, 9th overall)
- Asaad Said Saif Asaad
- Did not finish (Snatch: 192.5 kg, Clean & Jerk: DNF)
Asaad failed two attempts at a Clean & Jerk of 225.0 kg, and one at 227.5 kg, which would have placed him 3rd or 2nd, respectively.
Several Qatari athletes were listed on entry lists, but did not compete in their events. They are Adam Ali Adam Abdu in the 800 metres, Mubarak Faraj Al Nubi in the 400 metre hurdles, Haasan Abdullah Ahmad in the 5000 and 10000 metres, Jaber Saeed Salem in Men's over 105 kg Weightlifting and Abdullrahman Ibrahim A Ibrahim in Men's 60 kg Freestyle Wrestling.
- President: Hrh Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani
- Secretary General: Sheikh Saud Bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani
- Wallechinsky, David; Jamie Loucky (2008). The Complete Book of the Olympics : 2008 Edition. London: Aurum Press. ISBN 978-1-84513-330-6.