|• Mayor||Salah Hassan Hamid|
Qayyarah or Qayara (Arabic: القيارة) is an Iraqi town located in southern Nineveh Governorate on the west bank of the Tigris river, and about 60 km (35 miles) south of Mosul. It is located in the Mosul District, and it is the seat of Qayyarah subdistrict. It has a population of 15,000. The town is located near the Qayyarah oil field and has an oil refinery on its south-western outskirts. The Qayyarah Airfield West is 20 kilometers west of the town.
The town and subdistrict fell to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant in June 2014. It was reported that its recapture was of strategic importance for the offensive to retake Mosul in 2016. In August 2016, Qayyarah was fully captured by Iraqi forces, with Lieutenant General Riyadh Jalal Tawfiq stating that they controlled all parts of the city and Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi hailing the capture of the city as a "key step in the fight" against ISIL. In July 2016, the Pentagon said they were sending another 560 troops to Iraq, mainly to develop the Qayyarah airfield and use it as support for the planned attack on Mosul. Following the town's liberation, members of the Jubur tribe from Qayyarah and surrounding villages formed the Popular Mobilization Forces' 39th Regiment (nicknamed "Commandos of al-Jubur" or "Lions of the Tigris") to fight against ISIL. This unit subsequently took part in the Battle of Mosul (2016–2017).
The town's name derives from the Arabic word for tar.
- Zebari, Abdelhamid (25 August 2016). "Iraq forces retake key town south of Mosul". AFP. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- Giblin, Ruaidhrí (1 October 2016). "Retreating Isis fighters leave dark pall in their wake in Iraq". The Irish Times. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Iraq: Iraqi forces liberate Alqayara air force base from ISIS". Arab 24. 11 July 2016. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
[...] the Qayara Air Force Base, located 20 km from the town of Qayara [...].
- "Iraqi army launches offensive to push Isis out of Mosul". The Guardian. Reuters. 24 March 2016. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Iraqi forces seize strategic town near Mosul from ISIL". Al Jazeera. 25 August 2016. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- Lamothe, Dan; Morris, Loveday (2016-07-11). "Pentagon will send hundreds more troops to Iraq following seizure of key airfield". Washington Post. Retrieved 2016-09-14.
- Aymenn Jawad Al-Tamimi (6 September 2019). "Tribal Hashd of Ninawa: Interview with the 39th Regiment". Retrieved 7 September 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Qayyarah.|