||This article may be confusing or unclear to readers. (April 2014)|
|Publicly traded limited company|
|Traded as||NYSE: QIHU|
|Founded||Beijing, People's Republic of China (2005)|
|Founder||Zhou Hongyi (Chairman, CEO, co-founder), Xiangdong Qi (President, director, co-founder)|
|Hongyi Zhou, Xiangdong Qi, Shu Cao (Chief Engineer & Director), Alex Zuoli Xu (Co-CFO), Jue Yao (Co-CFO)|
|Products||Antivirus software, Web Browser, Mobile Antivirus Software, and Mobile Application Store|
|Revenue||$1.39 billion (2014)|
|Profit||$222.8 million (2014)|
Number of employees
Qihoo 360 Technology Co. Ltd., or Qihoo 360, (Chinese: 奇虎; pinyin: Qíhǔ, pronounced CHEE-hoo in English) is a Chinese internet security company known for its antivirus software (360 Safeguard, 360 Mobile Safe), Web Browser (360 Browsers), and Mobile Application Store (360 Mobile Assistant). It was founded by Zhou Hongyi and Qi Xiangdong in June 2005. Qihoo 360 had 496 million users for its Internet Security products and 641 million users for its Mobile Antivirus products as of June 2014.
Qihoo 360 initiated its business operations by selling third-party antivirus software online. Soon afterwards they realized the potential of the freemium business model in the Chinese market and started providing their own antivirus products free of charge. In a short period of time, Qihoo 360's security products gained popularity and market share in China. Their current revenues are generated by leveraging their massive user base through online advertising and services such as online games, remote technical support, and system integration.
- 360 Internet Security - PC security product, launched on June 11, 2013.
- 360 Mobile Security - Mobile security product for Android, launched on June 11, 2013.
- 360 Safeguard - Internet security product including antivirus and system performance optimization.
- 360 Secure Browser - Web browser that features integrated Trident (Internet Explorer) layout technology and Webkit (Google Chrome, Safari) layout technology, meaning that depending on the page being requested by the user, the 360 Browser chooses the optimal layout technology for that webpage.
- 360 Mobile Assistant - Mobile application store that enables users to download, install and manage Android apps from their PC.
- 360 Security - international version of mobile antivirus and general security product.
- 360 Total Security - Qihoo's newest product which cleans and speeds up Windows for global users.
Qihoo 360's main revenue sources include advertising space on 360 Startup Page, as well as revenue sharing with independent games developers which have published their games on the 360 Mobile Assistant. The revenue breakdown in 2012 was split between the revenue streams as follows: 67% from advertising, 31% from internet value added services and less than 1% from selling third party software. The revenues increased by 96.0% from $167.9 million in 2011 to $329.0 million in 2012. As of January 2014, the market cap is $11.42B.
In the summer of 2012, Qihoo 360 entered the smartphone market by launching the Battleship phone together with Haier, the large Chinese consumer electronics company. Qihoo 360 said that Haier will provide the hardware while Qihoo 360 will focus on customising the software, albeit the main operating system will be Android. Qihoo 360 received over 220,000 pre-orders for the phone the first day.
Later in 2012, Qihoo 360 entered the search market by launching so.com, thereby directly competing with Baidu, the dominant search engine in China. Qihoo has seen its share of unique visitors quickly grow to 10.52%.
In 2013, the company announced they would like to expand into overseas market with English, Russian, Japanese, Spanish, German, French and Korean languages support. Currently they are recruiting languages talents to develop this kind of software.
July 11, 2014, the company has set up a venture capital (VC) fund in Silicon Valley.
- "2014 Annual Report". Qihoo. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "Management overview".
- "CEO profile".
- "2012 Annual Report". Qihoo. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "360 Total Security official web site".
- Quote from NASDAQ.com
- "Qihoo 360 Launches Battleship Phone".
- "220,000 pre-order of the Battleship phone".
- "Qihoo market share".
- Hsu, Alex (18 Jul 2013). "Qihoo Launches New Search Engine Targeting Mobile Users". BrightWire News.
- Reuters (19 July 2013). "Deals of the day -- mergers and acquisitions". Reuters.
- "New York Times Dealbook: Qihoo Chinese Firm Increases Stake in Brazilian Tech Company". http://dealbook.nytimes.com. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- "PSafe Official Website". http://www.psafe.com. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- Lizette Chapman (19 July 2013). "360 Joins Asian Companies Launching VC Groups in Silicon Valley". Wall Street Journal.
- Official website (Chinese)
- 360 Search (Chinese)
- Investor relations (English)
- Official English Website (English)
- 360 Total Security official website