Qntal at the 2015 Wave-Gotik-Treffen
|Labels||Gymnastic Records, Stars in the Dark, Noir Records, Drakkar Entertainment|
|Associated acts||Estampie, Deine Lakaien, Helium Vola|
|Members||Sigrid Hausen (Syrah)
Sarah M. Newman (Mariko)
|Past members||Ernst Horn
Philipp Groth (Fil)
Qntal is a German "electro-medieval" band founded in 1991 by Michael Popp and Ernst Horn. They later added vocalist Syrah (Sigrid Hausen) to complete the band. It has roots in Estampie, a band of similar genre but different style; Michael Popp and Syrah are the principal members. Horn left the group in 1999, to concentrate on his other band, Deine Lakaien. He later formed Helium Vola in 2001. Philipp Groth (a.k.a. Fil) then joined Qntal. In 2008, singer and violist Sarah M. Newman (Mariko) left the New York-based band Unto Ashes to work with Qntal and Estampie in Germany.
The band's lyrics are primarily drawn from historical sources. Throughout their first three albums, lyrics were primarily in Latin, medieval German, Galician-Portuguese and a few other European tongues. On Qntal IV, the band added a few songs in English to their body of work. Two tracks from this album, Cupido and Flamma, reached the 2005 DAC, peaking at № 1 and № 8 respectively.
"Qntal" is an unknown word that appeared in one of Syrah's dreams. Its pronunciation varies among sources. However, Syrah herself, during live performances, pronounces it [kn̩tal].
Qntal has headlined at significant goth and industrial music festivals such as Wave-Gotik-Treffen and M'era Luna. Qntal's debut U.S. concert took place in September 2004 at Dracula's Ball in Philadelphia. In 2007, 2008, and 2011 the band was featured in the Bad Faerie Ball at the Baltimore FaerieCon.
|1992||Qntal I||Gymnastic Records||—|
|1995||Qntal II||Gymnastic Records||—|
|2003||Qntal III: Tristan und Isolde||Stars in the Dark / Noir Records||—|
|2005||Qntal IV: Ozymandias||Drakkar Entertainment / Noir Records||71|
|2006||Qntal V: Silver Swan||Noir Records||74|
|2008||Qntal VI: Translucida||Drakkar Entertainment||77|
|2014||Qntal VII||Drakkar Entertainment||—|
|2003||Nihil||Stars in the Dark / Vielklang Musikproduktion|
- 2008 – Purpurea: The Best Of, Drakkar Entertainment
- 2002 – O, Tristan
- 2003 – Entre Moi
- 2005 – Cupido
- 2005 – Flamma
- 2006 – Von den Elben
- 2008 – Sumer
- 2006 – Qntal V: Silver Swan 2 CD; Noir Records Special Edition featuring artwork by Brian Froud
- 1993 – "Por Mau Tens" on German Mystic Sound Sampler Volume IV, Zillo
- 1993 – "Ad Mortem Festinamus" on We Came To Dance - Indie Dancefloor Vol. III, Sub Terranean
- 2005 – "Ecce Gratum (Club Mix)" on Asleep by Dawn Magazine Presents: DJ Ferrets Underground Mix #1, Asleep by Dawn Magazine
- 2005 – "Entre Moi Et Mon Amin" on Sleepwatching, Vol. 1 DVD, Asleep by Dawn Magazine
- 2006 – "Von Den Elben" music video on Asleep By Dawn - DJ Ferret's Underground Mix #2 CD/DVD, Asleep by Dawn Magazine
- Sigrid "Syrah" Hausen (1991–present) - Vocals
- Michael Popp (1991–present) - Vocals, vielle, saz, shawm, oud, tar
- Mariko (2010–present) - Violist, backing vocals
- Markus Köstner (2005–present) - Live drummer
- Kutzer, Christoph (2012). "Mariko—Folge deinem Traum". Zillo Medieval (in German) (2): 45.
- "Deutsche Alternative Charts - Jahrescharts 2005 - Top100 Single Charts". Djcharts.de. Retrieved 2012-09-27.
- "Qntal – Longplay-Chartverfolgung". musicline.de (in German). Phononet GmbH. Retrieved 14 January 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Qntal.|