|Single by Jennifer Lopez|
|from the album Como Ama una Mujer|
|Released||January 26, 2007|
|Recorded||2006; Record Plant (Los Angeles)|
|Jennifer Lopez singles chronology|
"Qué Hiciste" (English: What Did You Do?) is a song recorded by American entertainer Jennifer Lopez for her fifth studio album, Como Ama una Mujer (2007). It was written and produced by Marc Anthony and Julio Reyes Copello, with additional writing from Jimena Romero. "Qué Hiciste" became a commercial success for Lopez, appearing in a wide range of charts around the world. The song became her first Spanish-language song to chart inside the Billboard Hot 100, reaching a peak position of eighty-six. It also peaked atop of Billboard's Hot Dance Club Play and Hot Latin Tracks charts. The song additionally reached the top position in Italy and in Switzerland. Lopez performed the song on American Idol on April 11, 2007; becoming the first artist ever to perform a Spanish song on the show.
Music and lyrics
"Qué Hiciste" is a Latin rock song, with a length of four minutes and fifty-eight seconds (4:58). The song was written by Jimena Romero, Julio Reyes, Marc Anthony, and produced by Estéfano and Reyes. The song marked the beginning of a musical project that lasted for three years and was originally conceived from a dream that Anthony had with Spanish recording artist Rocío Dúrcal two weeks after the singer's death. According to him, Dúrcal asked him to listen to a piece of music, which turned out to be the primary melody for the song. He elaborated that, within the dream, Dúrcal told him that the song, yet to be titled, was exclusively "for Jennifer." Lopez revealed that as Anthony did not want to forget the lyrics, and without any studio equipment nearby, she grabbed her phone, called up her answering machine and asked her husband to sing the melody. She also revealed that, with the help of a composer, "Que Hiciste" was finished in a couple of weeks. After a few months, Lopez started to write the lyrics with a Spanish songwriter, and finished it on fifteen minutes. Lopez asserted that recording a song in her parents' language was "a dream come true" for her.
The song was originally meant to be a ballad. However, as the lyrics were being written, "Qué Hiciste" turned into "something harder, with a bit more of a rock tinge to it. It's an incredibly intense song. [...] It's passionate and a lot of fun, with a killer message." Lopez claimed she loves the song, "and I hope other people love it as much as I do." James Reed of The Boston Globe noted the song to be a "diva-mode kiss-off" of a lover who "unraveled her happy home", noting the lyrics: "Se te olvidó que era el amor lo que importaba/ Y con tus manos derrumbaste nuestra casa" ("You forgot that it was love that mattered/ And with your hands you tore down our home"). He concluded by stating "that's about all the trash-talking Lopez wants to do". Two months later, Lopez and Anthony re-recorded the song in salsa which was produced by Anthony's longtime producer Sergio George in The Hit Factory Criteria studio in Miami. George commented that his years of experience with Anthony made the task "easier and the result, extraordinary".
Critical response and accolades
Tijana Ilich of About.com gave a positive review of the song, stating that if the rest of Como Ama una Mujer is as good as "Qué Hiciste", "it's going to mean another big hit for Lopez". James Reed of The Boston Globe called "Qué Hiciste" a detour on "an otherwise lush, quiet album". Sal Cinquemani of Slant magazine expressed his disappointment in Como Ama una Mujer lacking a "Latin booty-shaker" song, citing "Qué Hiciste" as "the closest we get".
On the Billboard Latin Music Awards of 2008, "Qué Hiciste" received a nomination for Latin Pop Airplay Song of the Year which was awarded to "Eres Para Mí" by Julieta Venegas. The song received a Broadcast Music, Inc. Awards of 2008, the song received a BMI Latin award.
"Qué Hiciste" became a commercial success for Lopez, appearing in a wide range of charts around the world. The song became her first Spanish-language song to chart inside the Billboard Hot 100, reaching a peak position of eighty-six. Additionally, the song became a hit on several other Billboard charts, including top positions at the Latin Songs and Hot Dance Club Play charts. Apart from the United States, the song appeared in several European national charts. In Italy, "Qué Hiciste" debuted atop the national chart on the week ending March 15, 2007 and stayed atop the chart for two consecutive weeks before dropping to number five. In Switzerland, the song debuted at number one on the week ending March 25, 2007. The following week, the song fell to number two, only to regain its peak position atop the chart on its first week before slowly dropping from the chart, where it stayed for 32 weeks. In Germany, "Qué Hiciste" managed to reach the top ten, peaking at number ten. In Belgium, the song reached number thirteen in Flanders and eleven in Wallonia. Finally, it reached the nineteenth position of the charts in Austria. The ringtone of the song managed to reach number one in Portugal.
The clip opens with Lopez driving an old car down a dusty highway in the middle of the desert, leaning out of the window singing. She pulls over at a gas station and enters the bathroom to change clothes. She is then seen dancing in the desert with flames in front and behind her. The view cuts between this and Lopez changing into new clothes and dying her hair at the washbasin. She then continues driving, but this time across the desert sand, away from the highway. She stops and gets a can of gasoline out the trunk, then pours it over the car. The car then explodes behind Lopez as she walks away. She is then seen dancing in a change of clothes in the sand, cutting between her back in the car and in the desert with the flames.
On April 11, 2007, Lopez performed "Qué Hiciste" on American Idol. She became the first artist to perform a Spanish-language song in the show's history. The performance featured a heavy use of a smoke machine and was introduced with a montage of outtakes from Lopez's stint on the show the day prior.
|2.||"Qué Hiciste" (Radio edit)||4:31|
|2.||"Qué Hiciste" (Salsa Remix)||4:50|
|3.||"Qué Hiciste" (Cass&Dubs Remix)||4:10|
|4.||"Qué Hiciste" (Tony Moran Radio Mix)||4:30|
|Spain (PROMUSICAE)||8× Platinum||320,000^|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||Platinum||30,000^|
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from the liner notes of Como Ama una Mujer.
|Canada||January 26, 2007||Digital download||Epic Records|
|United Kingdom||March 2, 2007||Digital download|
|United Kingdom||March 13, 2007||CD single|
|Germany||March 23, 2007||CD single|
|Germany||May 4, 2007||Digital EP|
|Canada||May 28, 2007||CD single|
- List of number-one Billboard Hot Latin Songs of 2007
- List of number-one dance singles of 2007 (U.S.)
- List of number-one hits of 2007 (Italy)
- List of number-one hits of 2007 (Switzerland)
- "Jennifer Lopez: Como Ama Una Mujer | Music Review". Slant Magazine. 2007-03-24. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- Como Ama Una Mujer liner notes. Epic Records (2007)
- "Ya está en la radio nuevo sencillo de Jennifer Lopez" (in Spanish). Net Joven. Archived from the original on 10 November 2012. Retrieved 10 November 2012.
- "Recibe J.Lo ?composición? de Rocío Dúrcal". El Siglo del Torreon (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 10 November 2012. Retrieved 10 November 2012.
- Vineyard, Jennifer; Silver, Evan (2006-09-12). "Jennifer Lopez Says New Single Came From Marc Anthony's Dream". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- "Jennifer Lopez goes unabashedly romantic with 'Como Ama Una Mujer' - The Boston Globe". Boston.com. 2007-03-27. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- "Jennifer López, Marc Anthony y Sergio George levantaron la temperatura de Miami". Stilo (in Spanish). Labs Social Media S.L.N.E. 2007-03-10. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- Ilich, Tijana (2007-01-25). "Jennifer Lopez Single "Que Hiciste"". Latinmusic.about.com. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- Tijana, Ilich. "Winners Of The Billboard Latin Music Awards - 2008". Latinmusic.about.com. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- "Gustavo Santaolalla Named Icon at 15th Annual BMI Latin Music Awards". Broadcast Music, Inc. 2008-06-12. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- "Jennifer Lopez Album & Song Chart History". Billboard.com. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Qué Hiciste — Jennifer Lopez — Chart History". Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- "Italiancharts.com – Jennifer Lopez – Qué hiciste". Top Digital Download. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Swisscharts.com – Jennifer Lopez – Qué hiciste". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Musicline.de – Jennifer Lopez Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Ultratop.be – Jennifer Lopez – Qué hiciste" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Ultratop.be – Jennifer Lopez – Qué hiciste" (in French). Ultratop 50. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Austriancharts.at – Jennifer Lopez – Qué hiciste" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Top 30 Ring Tones – Semana 19 De 2007" (in Portuguese). Associação Fonográfica Portuguesa. Retrieved December 26, 2011.
- 06/14/2005 00:00:00 (2007-01-16). "For The Record: Quick News On Nelly Furtado, Ja Rule, Kellie Pickler, Britney, Hilary, J. Lo, Lindsay & More - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- Kaufman, Gil (2007-04-12). "Haley Loses 'The Beat': 'Idol' Eliminates Scarnato As Sanjaya Holds On - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- Qué Hiciste (CD single liner notes). Jennifer Lopez. New York, NY: Epic Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment. 2007. 886970674522.
- "Qué Hiciste: Jennifer Lopez: Amazon.de: MP3-Downloads". Amazon.de. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- "Jennifer Lopez – Chart history" European Hot 100 for Jennifer Lopez. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Weekly General Airplay TopHit100 02.04-08.04, 2007". TopHit.ru. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Jennifer Lopez – Qué hiciste" Canciones Top 50. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Jennifer Lopez – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Jennifer Lopez. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Jennifer Lopez – Chart history" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Jennifer Lopez. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Jennifer Lopez – Chart history" Billboard Hot Latin Songs for Jennifer Lopez. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Jennifer Lopez – Chart history" Billboard Latin Pop Songs for Jennifer Lopez. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Jennifer Lopez – Chart history" Billboard Regional Mexican Songs for Jennifer Lopez. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Jennifer Lopez – Chart history" Billboard Tropical Airplay for Jennifer Lopez. Retrieved May 25, 2014.
- "Ultratop Belgian Charts" (in French). ultratop.be/fr. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- "Ultratop Belgian Charts" (in French). ultratop.be/fr. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- "Annual Charts- Year 2007 - Top 50 Singles". IFPI Greece. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 5 January 2013.
- "German Top 20 - The Chart Of 2007". Würzburg Universität. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "Classifiche Annuali 2007 FIMI-AC Nielsen: al primo posto Eros Ramazzotti con "E2"" (in Italian). Federation of the Italian Music Industry. 10 January 2008. Retrieved 5 January 2013. Download the attached file by clicking Scarica l'allegato.
- "Romanian Singles Chart". rt100.ro. Archived from the original on 2008-03-20. Retrieved 2008-03-21.
- Steffen Hung. "Schweizer Jahreshitparade 2007". hitparade.ch. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- "Billboard.BIZ". Billboard.BIZ. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- "Top 20 Canciones" (PDF) (in Spanish). Productores de Música de España. (PROMUSICAE). Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Jennifer Lopez; 'Que Hiciste')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien.
- Como Ama una Mujer (Booklet). Jennifer Lopez. New York City, NY: Epic Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment. 2007. 2876-78149-2.
- "iTunes – Music – Qué Hiciste – Single by Jennifer Lopez". Itunes.apple.com. 2007-01-26. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "Qué Hiciste: Jennifer Lopez: Amazon.fr: Téléchargements MP3". Amazon.fr. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "Qué Hiciste: Jennifer Lopez: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "Que Hiciste: Jennifer Lopez: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "Que Hiciste/Basic: Jennifer Lopez: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. 2009-09-09. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "Qué Hiciste: Jennifer Lopez: Amazon.de: MP3-Downloads". Amazon.de. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "Que Hiciste Pt.2: Jennifer Lopez: Amazon.ca: Music". Amazon.ca. 2007-05-28. Retrieved 2012-06-02.