|Programmer(s)||Billy Ethan Khan|
Quake Champions is a first-person shooter developed by id Software and published by Bethesda Softworks, as part of the Quake series of multiplayer shooters. Quake Champions is the first main entry in the Quake series since 2005's Quake 4. Since August 10, 2018, it has been free-to-play.
Quake Champions was announced at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2016, alongside a debut trailer. It will feature a large quantity of playable characters, each boasting their own sets of unique skills. The game is promised to be a "fast paced arena based shooter". It will not be released on consoles due to hardware limitations.
At QuakeCon 2016, creative-director Tim Willits revealed that Quake Champions does not run on the id Tech 6 game engine, but instead works on a hybrid engine made up of id tech and Saber tech, which means a number of the features seen in Doom are not native to Quake Champions, such as virtual reality, Vulkan API, SnapMaps and mod support, although mod support is potentially planned after initial release. It was revealed that Quake Champions was originally considered as an expansion to Quake Live, a revamped version of Quake III Arena released in 2010. The game went into closed beta on April 6, 2017. The game was released onto Steam's early access program on August 23, 2017.
It is stated that the game would feature a free-to-play option, allowing players to play as Ranger, with additional characters available for purchase, similar to the model used in Killer Instinct.
At E3 2018, Bethesda announced the availability of a free-to-play trial that is downloadable on Steam. Players who sign up during the free trial period will be able to keep playing for free after the game launch. Early access to the game is available for purchase at $30 on Steam.
Andrew Hulshult announced on his Twitter that he will be composing new music for the game. Hulshult previously composed music for the modification Brutal Doom and Apogee Software titles like 2013's Rise of the Triad and 3D Realms' Bombshell.
In Quakecon 2018, Bethesda announced that Quake Champions would be made free-to-play and open to all players on August 10, 2018. At launch, the game supported the free-to-play model with loot boxes containing random cosmetic items, but transitioned to a battle pass model in December 2018, with players earning "shards" from weekly challenges to unlock new cosmetics.
- Additional work by Saber Interactive
- Barrett, Ben (June 18, 2016). "Quake: Champions "is not a MOBA" insists id studio director Tim Willits". PCGamesN. Retrieved June 23, 2016.
- "Chris Vrenna writes OST for Quake Champions". PlusForward.net. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- Boyle, Joshua. "New Soundtrack Preview". Quake. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- Hussain, Tamoor (June 12, 2016). "Watch First Trailer for Doom Dev's Quake: Champions". GameSpot. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- Stead, Chris (August 11, 2016). "Quake Champions "is not on Id Tech 6"". Finder.com.au. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- Stead, Chris (August 12, 2016). "No SnapMap or mod support for Quake Champions". Finder.com.au. Retrieved August 15, 2016.
- Savage, Phil (October 3, 2016). "Quake Champions aims to bring characters to id's arena shooter, will it succeed?". PC Gamer. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- Peñaflorida, Rexly (March 30, 2017). "New 'Quake Champions' Video Highlights Arnaki, Closed Beta Set For April". tomshardware.com. Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- Hall, Charlie (March 10, 2017). "Quake Champions will be free, unless you want to buy it". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- Nunneley, Stephany (March 11, 2017). "Quake Champions will be free, unless you want to buy it". VG247. Retrieved June 3, 2017.
- Hall, Charlie (June 12, 2017). "Quake Champions adds Wolfenstein's B.J. Blazkowicz, announces $1 million tournament". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- "Quake® Champions Official Website | Get into the Quake Champions Free-to-Play Trial!". Quake. Retrieved June 11, 2018.
- "Quake Champions To Get Free Trial This Week Only - Siliconera". Siliconera. June 10, 2018. Retrieved June 11, 2018.
- Dayus, Oscar (June 10, 2018). "E3 2018: Quake Champions Is Free Forever If You Download This Week". GameSpot. Retrieved June 11, 2018.
- @AndrewHulshult (July 5, 2018). "I am incredibly honored to be making new music for Quake Champions" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Tarason, Dominic (December 5, 2018). "Quake Champions frags loot boxes and spawns in battle passes". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
- Glyer, Mike (November 19, 2018). "2018 Gamers' Choice Awards Nominees". File 770. Retrieved January 4, 2019.