Quaker Valley School District
|Quaker Valley School District|
Success: One Child at a Time
|Mail: 203 Graham St., Sewickley, PA 15143
Office: 100 Leetsdale Industrial Drive, Leetsdale, PA 15056
|Type||Public School District|
|School district||Quaker Valley School District|
|Number of students||about 2000|
|Color(s)||Black, White, and Gold|
The Quaker Valley School District is a school district covering the Boroughs of Sewickley, Leetsdale, Edgeworth, Glen Osborne, Sewickley Hills, Sewickley Heights, Bell Acres, Haysville, Glenfield, as well as the townships of Leet and Aleppo Townships in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. The district operates Quaker Valley High School (9th-12th), Quaker Valley Middle School (6th-8th), Edgeworth Elementary School (K-5th), and Osborne Elementary School (K-5th). The district is also responsible for the maintenance of the building that houses Sewickley Public Library.
The high school offers a dual enrollment program. This state program permits high school students to take courses, at local higher education institutions, to earn college credits. Students remain enrolled at their high school. The courses count towards high school graduation requirements and towards earning a college degree. The students continue to have full access to activities at their high school. The college credits are offered at a deeply discounted rate. The state offers a small grant to assist students in costs for tuition, fees and books. Under the Pennsylvania Transfer and Articulation Agreement, many Pennsylvania colleges and universities accept these credits for students who transfer to their institutions.
For the 2009-10 funding year, the school district received a state grant of $6,385 for the program.
In 2009, the 8th grade was ranked 25th out of 142 western Pennsylvania middle schools based on three years of student academic achievement in PSSAs in: reading, math writing and one year of science. (Includes schools in: Allegheny County, Beaver County, Butler County, Fayette County, Westmoreland County, and Washington County
The 2011 Pittsburgh Business Times Guide to Western Pennsylvania Schools ranked Quaker Valley School District 9th out of 105 public school districts in western Pennsylvania and 24th out of 500 school districts in Pennsylvania.
The district budget was $39,877,245 with a millage rate of 20.95 for the 2011-12 school year.  In 2007, the average teacher salary in the district was $63,427. The district ranked fifth in Allegheny County for average teacher salary in 2007. The average teacher salary in Pennsylvania was $54,977.
Quaker Valley School District administrative costs per pupil in 2008 were $1,014 per pupil. The district ranked 57th of 500 school districts in the Commonwealth for administrative spending. The lowest administrative cost per pupil in Pennsylvania was $398 per pupil.
- http://www.scribd.com/doc/24901214/Pennsylvania-Department-of-Education-Dual-Enrollment-Guidelines-2010-2011 Pennsylvania Department of Education - Dual Enrollment Guidelines.
- Pennsylvania Transfer and Articulation Agreement. Site accessed March 2010. http://www.patrac.org/
- Pennsylvania Department of Education Dual Enrollment Fall Grants 2009-10. August 2009
- The Rankings: Eighth grade, Pittsburgh Business Times, May 15th, 2009.
- 2011 Guide to Western Pennsylvania Schools Archived January 19, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Allegheny County Treasurer School District Tax Millages[permanent dead link]
- Fenton, Jacob, Average classroom teacher salary in Allegheny County, 2006-07. The Morning Call. Accessed March 2009.
- Fenton, Jacob. Pennsylvania School District Data: Will School Consolidation Save Money?, The Morning Call, Feb 2009.