|Cores||up to 48|
Centriq is a brand of system on a chip (SoC) semiconductor products designed and marketed by Qualcomm for data centers. The Centriq central processing unit (CPU) uses the ARM RISC instruction set, with multiple CPU cores in a single chip.
In November 2014, Qualcomm announced it was developing an ARM ARMv8-A microarchitecture based CPU that was purpose-built for data centers. In December 2016, the company announced and demonstrated the first multi-core CPUs based on a custom ARM ARMv8-A microarchitecture.
The first Centriq 2400 series of products were made available to server manufacturers in November 2017. With these first products, Qualcomm introduced its "Falkor" ARMv8-A microarchitecture. The chip has up to 48 of Qualcomm's custom designed "Falkor" cores at up to 2.6GHz, with six-channel DDR4 memory and a 60 MB L3 cache.
A number of reviews have noted at its release that the Centriq is expected to face significant competition from established x86-64 data-center CPU manufacturers Intel and AMD, and ARM microarchitecture server products such as Cavium's ThunderX2. In addition to competitive pressures, it has been noted that running established workloads on ARM microarchitectures requires re-optimizing and recompiling the software, or x86-64 emulation, presenting a barrier to entry for some potential customers.
- Kennedy, Anthony (8 November 2017). "Qualcomm Centriq 2400 Officially Launched". Serve the Home. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Shilov, Anton (16 December 2016). "Qualcomm Demos 48-core Centriq Server SoC in Action, Begins Sampling". Anandtech. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Kennedy, Patrick (23 August 2017). "Qualcomm Centriq 2400 ARM CPU from Hot Chips 29". Serve The Home. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Kennedy, Patrick (6 October 2017). "New Qualcomm Centriq 2400 details 48 cores 60MB L3 cache over 2GHz". Serve the Home. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Cutress, Ian (20 August 2017). "Analyzing Falkor's Microarchitecture". Anandtech. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Kennedy, Patrick (8 November 2017). "Analyzing Key Qualcomm Centriq 2400 Market Headwinds". Serve the Home. Retrieved 14 November 2017.