This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2021)
|Industry||CyberSecurity Company Network Security|
|Founder||Philippe Langlois and Gilles Samoun|
|Sumedh Thakar, President and CEO|
|Revenue||$411 million (2021)|
|$87.7 million (2021)|
Number of employees
Qualys, Inc. provides cloud security, compliance and related services and is based in Foster City, California. Qualys provides vulnerability management solutions using a "software as a service" (SaaS) model. It has added cloud-based compliance and web application security offerings.
Qualys has over 10,300 customers in more than 130 countries, including a majority of the Forbes Global 100. The company has strategic partnerships with major managed services providers and consulting organizations including BT, Dell SecureWorks, Fujitsu, IBM, NTT, Symantec, Verizon, and Wipro. The company is also a founding member of the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA).
Qualys was founded in 1999. The company launched QualysGuard in December 2000, making Qualys one of the first entrants in the vulnerability management market. In March 2001, angel investor Philippe Courtot became the CEO of the company after a major investment in the company. He also served as the chairman of the board. Philippe originally invested in Qualys in 1999 when the company was founded, then became CEO in March 2001. Philippe brought a vision to the company that was unique from the very start – to build a cloud delivery platform that would allow for the scanning of any network globally. He then set about creating it.
The QualysGuard Intranet Scanner was released in 2002 to automatically scan corporate LANs for vulnerabilities and search for an available patch. The following year, Qualys released FreeMap, a web-based tool for scanning, mapping and identifying possible security holes within networks connected to the Internet.
In 2005, Qualys extended its QualysGuard product line. In 2008, Qualys introduced QualysGuard Policy Compliance, which extended the platform's global scanning capabilities to collect IT compliance data across the organization and map this information into policies to document compliance for auditing purposes. Qualys also released a service for web application scanning named QualysGuard Web Application Scanning (WAS). In 2010, at the RSA Conference USA, Qualys announced QualysGuard Malware Detection Service, a new service designed to scan and identify malware on web sites. It also announced the Qualys SECURE Seal, which allows websites to show visitors that it has passed security scans.
In July 2010, Qualys announced Qualys BrowserCheck, a service for checking web browsers and plug-ins for security vulnerabilities. At RSA Conference 2011, Qualys launched a new open source web application firewall project, IronBee, led by Ivan Ristic, the creator of ModSecurity and a director of engineering at Qualys. At the RSA Conference in 2012, Qualys introduced updates to the QualysGuard Cloud Platform, which extended its capabilities to help customers improve the security of their IT systems and applications, further automate their compliance initiatives for IT-GRC, and provide online protection against cyber-attacks while reducing operational costs and increasing the efficiency of their security programs.
Qualys went public on NASDAQ with the symbol QLYS on September 28, 2012, raising net proceeds of $87.5 million. At the 2014 RSA Conference, Qualys announced general availability of its QualyGuard Web Application Firewall (WAF), which provides protection for websites running on Amazon EC2 and on-premises, as well as a new Continuous Monitoring solution and free Top 4 Security Controls service. In 2015, the company released 2.0 of its WAF software which included virtual patching and customizable event responses. That same year, Qualys also released an IT security and compliance solution called Cloud Agent Platform. In August 2015, the company released a free asset management service, Qualys AssetView, that allowed organizations to keep inventory of computers and their software.
In February 2016, Qualys released ThreatPROTECT, a vulnerability detection service for its cloud-based platform. The company received full certification for its Configuration Management Databases (CMDBs) App for ServiceNow, allowing the app to be integrated into ServiceNow's system in March 2016. In July 2016, it was announced that Qualys would integrate with Microsoft Azure Security Center. In August 2017, Qualys acquired the network analysis assets from Nevis Networks for an undisclosed sum. In December 2017, Qualys announced its acquisition of NetWatcher, a network security company.
In April 2018, Qualys acquired the software assets of Singapore-based 1Mobility, a startup which develops security technologies for mobile phones.
In June 2018, Qualys announced the addition of Asset Inventory to their Cloud Platform.
Qualys honored by SC Media as the winner for Best Vulnerability Management Solution in its 2020 Trust Awards.
Qualys received 2019 Gartner Peer Insights Customers' Choice Award for Vulnerability Assessment.
In 2017 Frost & Sullivan recognized Qualys with 2017 Global Vulnerability Management Market Leadership Award.
- Singh, Meghavi. "Qualys Board Names Sumedh Thakar as CEO". Yahoo Finance. Yahoo. Retrieved 30 April 2021.
- "Qualys Qualys Financials". Yahoo! Finance. Yahoo Finance. Retrieved 11 March 2022.
- "U. S. Security and Exchange Commission Form 10-K / Qualys, Inc". December 2021.
- Meghan Kelly (28 September 2012). "Cloud security company Qualys up 18 percent on IPO after the markets close". VentureBeat. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "Customer stories". Qualys, Inc. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- Find a Partner | Qualys, Inc
- About : Cloud Security Alliance
- "Qualys Introduces Cloud Continuous Monitoring". Diversity. 2014-02-25. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Cloud Security Vendor Qualys Ready for IPO". Sramana Mitra. 2012-06-12. Retrieved 2020-03-23.
- "Philippe Courtot Unifies Security Services at Qualys". 2017-11-08. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "The 8 Best Tips You'll Ever Get On How To Launch (And Grow) A Startup". 2012-02-17. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- Marin Courtney (30 September 2002). "Tool scours networks for threats". Network Week.
- David M. Ewalt (26 May 2003). "Free Network Check". Information Week.
- "Qualys Adds Security and Regulatory Policy Compliance to SaaS Offering". The Windows Observer. Archived from the original on 13 March 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Psst, Mister, Scan Your Site for Malware – For Free? | Maureen O'Gara
- "Qualys to offer free domain scanning and security assurance seals". Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2012-04-20.
- "Free web browser and plug-in security service launched". Infosecurity Magazine. 2010-07-19. Retrieved 2020-03-23.
- "IronBee Open Source WAF Project Launches". www.esecurityplanet.com. 15 February 2011. Retrieved 2020-03-23.
- "Forensics and Incident Response". www.peerlyst.com. Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- RSA 2012: Qualys Updates Cloud Platform, Launches Web Application Firewall Service | Security Blog Archived 2012-06-21 at the Wayback Machine
- Ingrid Lunden (28 September 2012). "Cloud Security Firm Qualys' IPO Opens At $12/Share, Raising $71.8M". TechCrunch. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "RSA news round-up". IT Security Guru. 2014-02-25. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Jackson, Joab (23 April 2015). "Qualys Devises a Virtual Patch to Protect Against Vulnerabilities". Computerworld. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Kovacs, Eduard (21 April 2015). "Qualys Web Application Firewall 2.0 Brings Virtual Patching, Event Response". Security Week. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Barker, Ian (2015-04-21). "New Cloud Agent Brings Enterprises Greater Security and Asset Control". BetaNews. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Jackson, Joab (6 August 2016). "Qualys Offers Free IT Asset Management Service for Enterprises". Computerworld. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Vizard, Mike (5 August 2016). "Qualys Unfurls Free Asset Inventory Service in the Cloud". IT Business Edge. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Barker, Ian (29 February 2016). "New Service Help sOrganizations Visualize and Prioritize Security Threats". BetaNews. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- VanDervoort, Oliver (7 March 2016). "Qualys App for ServiceNow CMDB Gets Certification". Enterprise Cloud. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Mackie, Kurt (21 July 2016). "Microsoft Azure Security Center Goes Live". Redmond Magazine. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- "Qualys to Acquire Assets of Nevis Networks". Dark Reading. 1 August 2017.
- "Brief-Qualys Announces Agreement to Acquire Assets of Nevis Networks". Reuters. 1 August 2017.
- Charlie Osborne (December 1, 2017). "Qualys snaps up NetWatcher security assets". ZD Net. Retrieved December 9, 2017.
- Michael Novinson (November 29, 2017). "Qualys To Buy Threat Detection Startup NetWatcher To Strengthen Ties With MSSPs". CRN. Retrieved December 9, 2017.
- "Qualys acquires 1Mobility assets to bolster enterprise mobile device compliance". ZDNet. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "Qualys announces Asset Inventory capabilities in Qualys Cloud Platform". 2018-06-14. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "Pwnie Award Winners 2021 – Pwnies". pwnies.com. Retrieved 2022-04-29.
- "Heap-based buffer overflow in Sudo! – Pwnies". pwnies.com. Retrieved 2022-04-29.
- "21 Nails – Pwnies". pwnies.com. Retrieved 2022-04-29.
- Barth, Bradley (February 27, 2020). "The winners of the 2020 SC Awards Honored in the U.S." www.scmagazine.com. Archived from the original on 29 February 2020.
- "Vulnerability Management Tools Reviews 2021 | Gartner Peer Insights".
- Inc., Qualys. "Frost & Sullivan Recognizes Qualys with 2017 Global Vulnerability Management Market Leadership Award". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-02-15.
- "Awards". Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "The Sponsors" (PDF). SC Magazine. Archived from the original (PDF) on 22 September 2014. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Results 2014". SC Magazine Awards 2014 Europe. Archived from the original on 21 May 2014. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- The 2010 Inc. 5000 List – JurInnov through Busey Group | Inc.com
- Qualys Ranks 26th in Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal's Largest Private … | Qualys, Inc
- Silicon Valley Business Journal – 2012-08-03 digital edition
- "Qualys Earns Highest Rating Possible of "Strong Positive" for Fifth Time in Gartner's MarketScope for Vulnerability Assessment". Marketwired. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "2014 Information Security Readers' Choice Winners". TechTarget. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "SANS Best of Awards". SANS Institute. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Cyber Security Leaders 2017 – Cyber Defense Magazine". www.cyberdefensemagazine.com. 23 May 2017. Retrieved 2018-02-15.
- Official website
- Qualys SSL Labs Vulnerability Scanner
- Hoge, Patrick (December 19, 2008). "Friday, December 19, 2008 Network security firm Qualys floats to top of cloud computing Redwood City company to do $50M". San Francisco Business Times. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- Hines, Matt (October 16, 2007). "Core, Qualys to enter Web apps scanning market". InfoWorld. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- Rash, Wayne (December 9, 2002). "Inside information – QualysGuard service strengthened with an intranet scanner appliance.(Qualisguard Intranet Scanner Applicance [sic?])(Hardware Review) (Product/Service Evaluation)". InfoWorld. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- "Qualys Updates Network Security Auditing Security audits are automated and unalterable, describing when the audit was performed, what vulnerabilities were uncovered, how to fix them, when they were assigned and to whom, and when repairs were successfully implemented". Internet Week. April 16, 2003. Retrieved 10 January 2010.