Quantitative systems pharmacology
Quantitative Systems Pharmacology (QSP) is a discipline within biomedical research that uses mathematical computer models to characterize biological systems, disease processes and drug pharmacology. QSP can be viewed as a sub-discipline of Pharmacometrics that focuses on modeling the mechanisms of drug pharmacokinetics (PK), pharmacodynamics (PD), and disease processes using a systems pharmacology point of view. QSP models are typically defined by systems of ordinary differential equations (ODE) that depict the dynamical properties of the interaction between the drug and the biological system.
QSP can be used to generate biological/pharmacological hypotheses in-silico to aid in the design of in-vitro or in-vivo non-clinical and clinical experiments. This can help to guide biomedical experiments so that they yield more meaningful data. QSP is increasingly being used for this purpose in pharmaceutical research & development to help guide the discovery and development of new therapies. QSP has been used by the FDA in a clinical pharmacology review.
- University of Oklahoma, School of Pharmacy, Graduate Program in Quantitative Systems Pharmacology
- PharMetrX: Pharmacometrics & Computational Disease Modelling (annual call for applications, July - Sept 15th)
- Geerts, Hugo; Spiros, Athan; Roberts, Patrick; Carr, Robert (2013-06-01). "Quantitative systems pharmacology as an extension of PK/PD modeling in CNS research and development". Journal of Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics. 40 (3): 257–265. doi:10.1007/s10928-013-9297-1. ISSN 1573-8744. PMID 23338980.
- Ward, Rebecca. "Quantitative and Systems Pharmacology in the Post-genomic Era: New Approaches to Discovering Drugs and Understanding Therapeutic Mechanisms" (PDF). www.go-isop.org/. NIH. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- Leil, Tarek A.; Bertz, Richard (2014-01-01). "Quantitative Systems Pharmacology can reduce attrition and improve productivity in pharmaceutical research and development". Experimental Pharmacology and Drug Discovery. 5: 247. doi:10.3389/fphar.2014.00247. PMC . PMID 25426074.
- Russell, John. "What is (Quantitative) Systems Pharmacology?". www.bio-itworld.com. Bio-IT World. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- Peterson, MC; Riggs, MM (March 2015). "FDA Advisory Meeting Clinical Pharmacology Review Utilizes a Quantitative Systems Pharmacology (QSP) Model: A Watershed Moment?". CPT: Pharmacometrics & Systems Pharmacology. 4 (3): 189–192. doi:10.1002/psp4.20. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- QSP Scientific Interest Group at ISoP
- QSP at Certara
- eBook: The Emerging Discipline of Quantitative Systems Pharmacology