It was first named Qvadradurmusivalen in 1991, but changed into the more ear-catching Quart Festival the following year. For several years Quart was the largest music festival in Norway, but went bankrupt in 2008 in part due to tough competition from the Hovefestivalen in Arendal and some Oslo-based festivals.
There have been some scandals during the years.
- A local band Flying Crap fired a shotgun from the stage in 1995.
- Marilyn Manson ripped a bible on stage in 1999.
- The Kovenant burned a bible on stage in 2000.
- Mayhem threw pigs' heads at the audience in 2001.
- Eight musicians from hiphop group Equicez were arrested for drug offences in 2003.
- Kristopher Schau attached an engine to a dead pig and used it as a boat in 2003.
- Two persons from rainforest charity group Fuck For Forest had live sex on stage during a concert with The Cumshots in 2004.
2008 cancelling and bankruptcy
On the evening of June 6, citing low ticket sales (14 000 against a budget of 30 000), the festival management officially decided to cancel the 2008 festival (supposed to start on July 1) and as well file the managing company for bankruptcy. Following the 2007 festival, the company had a deficiency of roughly 16 million kroner.
2009 – The festival returns
The Quart Festival was revived by one of the original organisers and was held on 30 June to 4 July 2009. Slash's performance was backed by Teddy Andreadis, Jason Bonham, Chris Cheney, John 5 and Frankie Perez, and included guest performances from Ozzy Osbourne, Ronnie Wood and Fergie.
The festival was an economic disaster with low attendances and slow revenues. The festival was by mid-September 2009 still not able to pay their employees and is now threatened by bankruptcy.
2002: David Bowie, Travis, Rammstein, No Doubt, Morten Abel, Belle & Sebastian, Turbonegro, Kent, …And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Kaizers Orchestra, Muse, White Stripes
2006: Depeche Mode, Tool, Kanye West, Muse, Pharrell, Arctic Monkeys, Damian Marley, Devin the Dude, Placebo, Rufus Wainwright, Opeth, The Raconteurs, Wolfmother, Richard Hawley, Gogol Bordello, Flogging Molly, The Cat Empire, Death Cab for Cutie
Quart 1996 booking (as seen on official poster)
Ken Ishii, Nightmares on Wax, BT, Faithless, Lionrock, Moloko, Ash, Nicolette, Spring Heel Jack, Dog Eat Dog, Whipping Boy, Dirty Three, The Brotherhood, Morcheeba, Fun Lovin' Criminals, Hallucinogen, Super Furry Animals, Bis, Motorpsycho, Peltz, The Highrollers, Penthouse Playboys, Palace of Pleasure, Folk & Røvere, Gartnerlosjen, Turbonegro, Subgud, Kåre and the Cavemen, The 3rd and the Mortal, Alania, Tørst, Salida, Gluecifer, Mindstate, Red Cloud, Dryads, Silent, Ad Libitum, Groms, The Weeds, Cirkus Gilmour, Whipped Cream Royale.
25th anniversary festival
25 and 26 June 2016, the Quart Festival will be revived at Odderøya. The occasion is the 25th anniversary since the first festival. The organizers promise major Norwegian and International names.
Quart 2000 line-up
Quart 2001 line-up
|Tue 3 July||Wed 4 July||Thu 5 July||Fri 6 July||Sat 7 July|
|Alanis Morissette||Coldplay||Manic Street Preachers||Beck||Briskeby|
|Deftones||The Dandy Warhols||PJ Harvey||Bob Hund||Bertine Zetlitz|
|LOK||Sigur Rós||JJ72||The Strokes||Kinobe|
|Goldfinger||Ash||Silver||Starsailor||Cosmic Rough Riders|
|Cadillac||Bad Boys Club||James Band||Common||Brussel|
|Wyclef Jean||Motörhead||Mayhem||Big Daddy Kane||Euroboys|
|Stereo MCs||Queens of the Stone Age||In Flames||Lootpack & Peanut Butter Wolf||Bigbang|
|Klovner i Kamp||Gluecifer||Opeth||KutMasta Kurt||Popium|
|Salvador||The Hives||Zyklon||Feven, Madcon & Gatas Parlament||The Cumshots|
|Cradle of Filth (cancelled)||My Vitriol||Einherjer||Grandaddy||Hangface|
|Ram-Zet||Håkan Hellström||Jim White||The Magnetic Fields||Arab Strap|
|Zero 7||Peel||Tom McRae||St. Thomas||Anja Garbarek|
|Richard Scanty||Talvin Singh||Wookie||Moon Orchestra||Masta Ace|
|Dave Clarke||Ai Phoenix||Palace of Pleasure||Tony Touch||Jaga Jazzist|
|X-Press 2||Stanton Warriors||Jazzy Jeff||Turin Brakes||Moodymann|
|g-Ha||Richard Scanty||Kings of Convenience||Erick Morillo||Matthias Heilbronn|
|Pete||Francois K & Eric Kupper||NOR||A Man Called Adam||DJ Phardin|
|Stephan Grieder||Peer + venner||Little Louie Vega||Stuart Patterson||A Man Called Adam|
|Jori Hulkkonen||Nathan Haines||Olanskii||Terry Farley||Bjørn Torske|
|Olle Abstract||g-Ha||Doc L Junior||Olle Abstract||Olle Abstract|
|KS Choice||Nils Noah||Si Long||Dosertanker||Experimental Pop Band|
|Buzz Aldrin Band||Håkan Lidbo||Kango||Stardustbreakers||Jigsaw Puzzle|
|Train||Olle Abstract||Olle Abstract||Stereo 21||NUD|
|Pagan's Mind||Cadillac||Scariot||Miramis||Grand Lux|
|Tremolo Wankers||Guardians of Time|
|Java Junkies||The Flush|
- "Slash At Norway's QUART Festival: More Video Footage, Photos, Review Available". News Archive. Blabbermouth.net. 1 July 2009. Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- Rowley, Scott (1 July 2009). "Slash And Friends Rock Norway". Classic Rock - News. Future Publishing. Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- "15 millioner i minus for Quart-festivalen". Dagbladet.no. Dagbladet. 15 July 2009. Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- Quart Festival 25 års jubileum Official site (Norwegian)
- Toffen gjenoppliver Quartfestivalen - har store planer til sommeren Dagbladet 11 november 2015 (Norwegian)
- Official site (mostly in Norwegian)
- Official Site: English (Limited pages)
- Latest festival news (English)
- fastest festival news (English)