Quartet Movement in E-flat major (Shostakovich)
The Quartet Movement in E-flat major, also known as the Unfinished Quartet, is the first movement of a projected string quartet in E-flat major by Dmitri Shostakovich, that was rediscovered in 2003.
Shostakovich's Ninth String Quartet had a difficult creation process, with at least one completed version being destroyed by the composer in 1961, as described by Elizabeth Wilson in her biography Shostakovich: A Life Remembered, "Shostakovich finished the first version of the Ninth Quartet in the autumn of 1961. In a fit of depression, or, to quote his own words, 'in an attack of healthy self-criticism, I burnt it in the stove. This is the second such case in my creative practice. I once did a similar trick of burning my manuscripts, in 1926.'"
Until 2003 it was believed that nothing had survived of the earlier version(s). In that year, musicologists Olga Digonskaya and Olga Dombrovskaya found a manuscript entitled "Quartet No. 9/I DShostakovich/op.113' Key Es-dur, tempo Allegretto".[a] which comprised both a complete rough draft of a string quartet movement and a partially completed fair score of the same movement.
As part their 20th anniversary concert series entitled the Fragments Project the Brentano String Quartet commissioned composer Stephen Hartke to write a companion piece to the movement. The piece entitled "From The Fifth Book" was completed in 2011.
- Opus 113 was later assigned to the Thirteenth Symphony.
- Clements, Dominy (August 12, 2012). "SHOSTAKOVICH String Quartets: the Alexandra Quartet FCL1988/1991". Musicweb.com. Retrieved March 2013.
- Hartke, Stephen (2011). "From The Fifth Book for String Quartet (2011)". Retrieved December 2012.
- Heyer, Mark, ed. (2011). Dmitri Shostakovich:Catalog of Works. Hamburg: Sikorski Musikverlage.
- Hulme, Derek C. (2010). Dmitri Shostakovich Catalogue: The First Hundred Years and Beyond. Scarecrow Press. ISBN 0810872641.
- Kozinn, Allan (March 22, 2012). "Choose Your Adventure: Ending the Unfinished, The Brentano String Quartet at Carnegie Hall". The New York Times. Retrieved March 2013.
- Thomson, Michelle Dulak (December 18, 2012). "String Quartet CDs for the Holidays". San Francisco Classical Voice. Retrieved March 2013.
- Wilson, Elizabeth (1995). Shostakovich : a life remembered (1st Princeton pbk. printing. ed.). Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press. ISBN 0691044651.
- "Unfinished Quartet, Dmitri Shostakovich". Hal Leonard Online. 2012. Retrieved December 2012.
- Ledbetter, Steven (October 18, 2011). "Brentano String Quartet Connecting". The Boston Musical Intelligencer. Retrieved March 2013.
- Bergen, Violet (March 21, 2012). "Brentano String Quartet at Weill Recital Hall – Fragments: Connecting Past and Present (II)". Classicalsource.com. Retrieved March 2013.
- "Shostakovich / Unfinished Quartet - Realization using Garritan Personal Orchestra on Youtube". Retrieved March 2013.