|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (March 2015)|
|Headquarters||Mountain View, California, United States|
Number of locations
Qubole is a cloud-based Big Data as a service developer. The company's flagship product, Qubole Data Service, manages Hadoop infrastructure and allows users to prepare, integrate, and analyze big data in the cloud. The company was launched in June 2012 by co-founders Ashish Thusoo and Joydeep Sen Sarma. It is headquartered in Mountain View, California and has an office in Bangalore, India. Qubole has received $7 million in venture capital from investors including Charles River Ventures and Lightspeed Venture Partners. On December 11, 2014, Qubole announced they raised Series B funding of $13 million led by Norwest Ventures Partners
Qubole was founded in October 2011 by Ashish Thusoo and Joydeep Sen Sarma. Thusoo and Sarma were formerly senior big data engineers at Facebook, where they worked from 2007-2011. While at Facebook, they created the social network's big data infrastructure and Apache Hive. Thusoo also managed Facebook's internal data analytics team and served as project lead for Hive with the Apache Software Foundation for a year. Qubole launched in June 2012.
The company closed its series A venture funding round in April 2013. The round was led by Charles River Ventures and Lightspeed Venture Partners. Individual angel investors included Venky Harinarayan and Anand Rajaram. The company announced it had raised a collective $7 million between its seed and series A funding rounds. Qubole expanded its platform to Google Compute Engine in December 2013. It began offering Presto-as-a-service a month later. On December 11, 2014, Qubole announced they raised Series B funding of $13 million led by Norwest Ventures Partners. On February 18, 2015, Qubole announced they now provide Spark query as a service
Qubole's flagship project is Qubole Data Service (QDS), a managed cloud-based Hadoop platform. QDS works with both structured and unstructured data utilizing Apache software components such as Hive, MapReduce, Oozie, Pig, Presto, Spark and Sqoop. Qubole has also released a Python software development kit for building applications in Python that integrate QDS with other tools and applications.
QDS has a user interface that allows users to analyze data sets without knowing Hadoop system management. The platform also allows users to integrate and consolidate data from multiple sources. It is fully elastic and automatically scales or contracts clusters based on workload.
- Dave Feinleib (2012-07-16). "6 Insights From Facebook's Former Head Of Big Data". Forbes. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- "Anything as a Service Xaas innovation". Platform Group. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Bert Latamore (2014-02-07). "Qubole delivers Big Data from the public cloud". Silicon Angle. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Derrick Harris (2013-04-23). "Hadoop startup Qubole raises $7M for Hive as a Service". Gigaom. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Amrita Premrajan (2013-08-09). "11 innovative Big Data startups founded by Indian entrepreneurs". Information Week. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Bhasker Gupta (2012-07-22). "Joydeep Sen Sarma, Co-Founder and Head at Qubole India". Analytics India Magazine. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Hayden Richards (2013-12-15). "Qubole offers Big Data killer App As A Service for Google Cloud Platform". Intelligent HQ. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Cromwell Schubarth (2013-04-23). "Ex-Facebook Big Data engineers' startup Qubole raises $7M". Silicon Valley Business Journal. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Anand Rai (2013-04-24). "Big Data startup Qubole raises $7M in Series A from Charles River Ventures, Lightspeed and others". VCCircle. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Michael Hausenblas (2013-12-28). "Hadoop-as-a-Service Provider Qubole Now Runs on Google Compute Engine". Info Queue. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Derrick Harris (2014-01-10). "Qubole is offering Facebook's Presto query engine as a service". Gigaom. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- "5 Brilliant Big Data Startups from India". The TechPanda. 2013-10-09. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Vance McCarthy. "Qubole Previews Cloud-Based Platform for Auto-Scaling Big Data". Integration Developer News. Retrieved 2014-05-18.