Queen's Service Order
|Queen's Service Order|
Male Companion's Badge of the Queen's Service Order for Community Service
|Awarded by Queen of New Zealand|
|Established||13 March 1975|
|Last awarded||2014 Queen's Birthday Honours|
|Next (higher)||New Zealand Bravery Star|
|Next (lower)||Officer of The New Zealand Order of Merit|
|Related||Queen's Service Medal|
Ribbon of the Queen's Service Order
The Queen's Service Order, established by Queen Elizabeth II on 13 March 1975, is awarded by Her Majesty's Government of New Zealand "for valuable voluntary service to the community or meritorious and faithful services to the Crown or similar services within the public sector, whether in elected or appointed office". This order was created after a review of New Zealand's honours system in 1974. The Queen's Service Order replaced the Imperial Service Order in New Zealand.
Recipients of this award are entitled to use the post-nominal letters "QSO", and are styled "companion". Members of the Royal Family can be named "extra companions". Before 2005, awards were distinguished between those made for "public" and "community service".
The insignia of the order is a stylised manuka flower with five petals, which contains the effigy of the reigning monarch surrounded by a red circle inscribed FOR SERVICE — MŌ NGA MAHI NUI, crowned at the top. The ribbon has a traditional Māori Poutama motif of black, white and red diagonal 'steps' (signifying the growth of man, striving ever upwards) in the centre with red stripes along each edge of the ribbon. The insignia is worn on the left lapel of the coat for men or from a ribbon tied in a bow at the left shoulder for women. The Governor-General of New Zealand additionally wears the badge on a thin gold chain.
There is also a related Queen's Service Medal, which is a silver circular medal bearing the effigy of the reigning monarch on the obverse, and the Coat of Arms of New Zealand on the reverse. The ribbon or bow pattern is the same as the Queen's Service Order. The medal, before 2005, was also awarded for "public" and "community service".
Important members and officers
- Sovereign: The Queen
- Principal Companion: Sir Jerry Mateparae GNZM QSO (Governor-General of New Zealand) (2011)
- Extra Companions:
- "The Imperial Service Order and Medal". Medals awarded to New Zealand military personnel. New Zealand Defence Force. Retrieved 25 March 2013. External link in
- Stories of the Tukutuku patterns
- Appointed 18 March 2014 to the office of Secretary and Registrar of The Queen's Service Order, The Order of New Zealand, and The New Zealand Order of Merit, during Her Majesty's pleasure, in place of Rebecca Lucy Kitteridge, CVO
- ”The Queen's Service Order / The Order of New Zealand / The New Zealand Order of Merit (28 April 2014) 44 New Zealand Gazette 1263 at 1287.