Queen Elizabeth College, Palmerston North
|Queen Elizabeth College|
Scientia est Potentia|
Knowledge is Power
|Ministry of Education Institution no.||201|
|School roll||227 (August 2018)|
The school is located on Rangitikei Street, Palmerston North.
Queen Elizabeth College has many facilities and resources for its students, such as:
- Two gyms
- A music suite
- Te Matui (Kitchens, sleeping and classroom)
- Arts suite
QEC is the home of Access Radio 999AM and ACE Night School (Adult Continuing Education)
The colours of Queen Elizabeth College are black, maroon and gold.
Queen Elizabeth College was founded in 1906 as Palmerston North Technical School. However the school was 4 years in the making, from a public meeting held in the city in 1902, gauging public interest in technical classes. The first classes were held at the Palmerston North High School (which was also split into two single gender secondary schools) and also at Campbell Street School.
In 1903, the High School and the Technical School were separated.
In 1908, land was bought at Princess Street, when in 1909 a building was opened to house the school (this is now the main campus of UCOL).
- Ria Bond, New Zealand First MP
- Jacqui Dean, former television and radio host. National MP for Otago, Waitaki.
- Nehe Milner-Skudder, rugby union player. All Black, Hurricane and Manawatu Turbo.
- "Directory of Schools - as at 13 September 2018". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Decile Change 2014 to 2015 for State & State Integrated Schools". Ministry of Education. Retrieved 12 February 2015.