|Queen Consort of Joseon|
|Queen consort of Joseon Dynasty|
|Spouse||King Yeongjo of Joseon|
|Born||2 December 1745
Yeoju County, Gyeonggi Province, Korea
|Died||12 January 1805
Changdeok Palace, Korea
Queen Jeongsun (정순왕후 김씨, 2 December 1745 – 11 February 1805) was a Queen consort of Korea as married to King Yeongjo (1724–1776), and the regent of Korea from 1800 to 1805 as the guardian of her minor step great-grandson, Sunjo of Joseon (1790–1834, reigned 1800–1834). She was a member of the Gyeongju Kim clan.
Born in the wealthy sector of Yeoju County, Gyeonggi Province during the reign of King Yeongjo, the future Queen Jeongsun was the daughter of Kim Han-gu (김한구) and Lady Won. After the death of Yeongjo's first Queen Consort in 1757, she became Queen in 1759. She made an impression of wisdom early in her marriage with her verbal talent.
Because of the death of Crown Prince Sado in 1762, a son of Queen Jeongsun would have belonged to the required generation for inheriting the throne after the death of Yeongjo. But Queen Jeongsun had no children, and the throne was transmitted to the son of Sado who reigned as King Jeongjo from 1777 to 1800.
In 1800, the only son of Jeongjo was 11 years old. He ascended the throne as King Sunjo. The Regency was given to Queen Jeongsun since she was senior by generation over anybody else in the Palace. She exerted the power until she voluntarily gave it up in 1804. She departed from the policy of the late King, enforcing the Catholic Persecution of 1801 and favoring the Noron Byeokpa faction.
- Father-in-law: Sukjong of Joseon
- Husband: Yeongjo of Joseon
- Stepson: Crown Prince Sado
- Step grandson: Jeongjo of Joseon
- Step great-grandson: Sunjo of Joseon
- Mother-in-law: Royal Noble Consort Suk of the Choi clan
- 1745-1759: Lady Kim
- 1759-1776: Her Majesty The Queen of Joseon
- 1776-1800: Her Majesty The Queen Dowager of Joseon
- 1800-1805: Her Majesty The Grand Queen Dowager of Joseon
In popular culture
- Portrayed by Kim Yong-sun in The Memoirs of Lady Hyegyeong (1988)
- Portrayed by Kim Ja-ok in The Royal Way (1991)
- Portrayed by Kim Min-jung in The King and the Queen (1998)
- Portrayed by Kim Mi-hee in Hong Guk-yeong (2001)
- Portrayed by Kim Yeo-jin in Yi San (2007)
- Portrayed by Kim Hee-jong in Eight Days, Assassination Attempts against King Jeongjo (2007)
- Portrayed by Im Ji-eun in Painter of the Wind (2008)
- Portrayed by Han Ji-min in The Fatal Encounter (2014)
|Queen consort of Korea