Queen of Earth
|Queen of Earth|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Alex Ross Perry|
|Music by||Keegan DeWitt|
|Cinematography||Sean Price Williams|
|Edited by||Robert Greene |
|Distributed by||IFC Films|
Catherine and Virginia, two women who grew up together, spend a week together at a lake house retreat, as they did the previous year. This time, however, Catherine's mood (and possibly her sanity) has been affected by the death of her father, as well as the ending of a relationship, and the women realize they have drifted apart.
- Elisabeth Moss as Catherine Hewitt
- Katherine Waterston as Virginia 'Ginny' Lowell
- Patrick Fugit as Rich
- Kentucker Audley as James
- Keith Poulson as Keith
- Kate Lyn Sheil as Michelle
On July 30, 2014, it was announced that Alex Ross Perry would direct the psychological thriller film which he wrote about two women at a beach house, in which Elisabeth Moss would star as lead, while Joe Swanberg would be producer. On August 21, Michelle Dockery joined the film to star as lead opposite Moss. On September 17, Katherine Waterston was added to the cast to replace Dockery for her role, which Dockery exited due to scheduling conflicts. On September 18, Patrick Fugit was cast to play a friend of one of the women in the film, who also comes to the beach to spend time with her. Perry would also produce the film along with Swanberg and Adam Piotrowicz.
The film had its world premiere at the Berlin International Film Festival on February 7, 2015. Shortly after, it was announced IFC Films had acquired distribution rights to the film. The film was released on August 26, 2015, in a limited release and through video on demand.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a "certified fresh" approval rating of 92% based on 77 reviews, with an average rating of 7.6/10. The website's critical consensus reads: "Led by a searing performance from Elisabeth Moss, Queen of Earth is a demanding – and ultimately rewarding – addition to writer-director Alex Ross Perry's impressive filmography." On Metacritic, the film has a score of 77 out of 100, based on 23 critics, indicating "generally positive reviews".
- "Queen of Earth (2015)". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. October 1, 2015. Retrieved April 23, 2016.
- Ford, Rebecca; Kit, Borys (July 30, 2014). "Elisabeth Moss Reteaming With 'Listen Up Philip' Director for 'Queen of Earth'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Ford, Rebecca (August 21, 2014). "Michelle Dockery Joins Elisabeth Moss in 'Queen of Earth'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Ford, Rebecca (September 17, 2014). "'Inherent Vice' Actress Joins Indie 'Queen of Earth'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Ford, Rebecca; Kit, Borys (September 18, 2014). "Patrick Fugit Joins Indie 'Queen of Earth'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved September 26, 2014.
- Zeitchik, Steven. "Elisabeth Moss and Alex Ross Perry listen up to some common notes". Los Angeles Times. October 16, 2014. Retrieved February 15, 2019. "They poured it into "Philip" and the film they were shooting last month, a psychological drama titled "Queen of Earth," in the Putnam County town of Carmel."
- Irie, Devon. "The Impulse of Alex Ross Perry". Interview. August 25, 2015. Retrieved February 15, 2019. "IVIE: Where did you film? The location around the lake house is beautiful. PERRY: It’s in a town called Carmel, New York, about two hours north of the city. It’s quite close to Poughkeepsie."
- "Queen of Earth (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved February 15, 2018.
- "Queen of Earth Reviews". Retrieved February 15, 2018.