Queens Park, Moonee Ponds
Following the discovery of gold in Victoria in 1851, travellers heading for the goldfields met here because fresh water was available in the lagoon. On 20 August 1860, the Burke and Wills expedition camped here on their fateful journey to cross Australia.
A picturesque cottage is the focal point of the park with its idyllic surrounds and lovely public art pieces. A gravel path surrounds the lake where seats and picnic tables are provided beneath old established exotic trees, with the lake a haven for a variety of birds. A rose garden and a sunken garden are part of the many attractions of the park. Concerts and other entertainments are common on weekends.
Facilities within the park
- Moonee Ponds Bowling Club : http://www.mooneepondsbowls.com.au
- Queens Park Pool : http://www.queensparkpool.com.au
- Moonee Valley City Council : http://www.mvcc.vic.gov.au
- Queens Park information : http://www.mvcc.vic.gov.au/experience-moonee-valley/parks-and-playgrounds/main-parks/queens-park.aspx
- History Of Queens Park : http://web.archive.org/web/20080819190939/http://www.enet.org.au/historyonline/queens/queenspark.html