This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pain wrote Prophet, which won the Acorn User Best Business Software Award for 1995 and 1996. This was used to help launch the Acorn A4000 in New Zealand. Pain is also the author of the book Accounting For Everyone, which was notable as the first book to change the way people think about double-entry and provides the online course Accounting For Everyone. The core changes to double-entry described in the book are:
- The replacement of the terms credit and debit with the terms from and to
- Entering the credited or debited account in the credit or debit columns (as opposed to the amount)
- Reversing the order of those columns
These changes aim to simplify the double-entry process.
Pain, together with co-authors David Bradforth and John Taylor, wrote the book Home Accountz for Dummies for the American publishers John Wiley & Sons. Pain self-published his first book on business principles, entitled Legendary, in October 2015  through publishers CreateSpace. Pain wrote and self-published the book Step by Step Marketing in 2013,  which tells the story of how he grew Accountz.com Ltd.
Pain was named among the top 10 business advisors in the UK in 2015 by a panel of judges, including Emma Jones MBE and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. He was nominated for the International Association of Book-keepers Small Business Mentor of the Year award, and won the award on 21 June 2013.
- "Company History". Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- Pain, Quentin (1998). Mr. Cambridgeshire, UK: Apricote Studios. p. 192. ISBN 978-1902255002.
- "Accounting for Everyone". Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- Pain, Quentin; David Bradforth; John Taylor (2012). Laura K. Miller (ed.). Home Accountz For Dummies (First ed.). John Wily & Sons, Ltd. p. 294. ISBN 978-1-119-96892-4.
- Pain, Quentin (2015). Legendary (First ed.). CreateSpace. p. 104. ISBN 978-1517592615.
- Pain, Quentin (2013). Step By Step Marketing. CreateSpace. p. 216. ISBN 978-1482523485.
- David Prosser (28 May 2012). "Small Talk: Public sector failings holding back SMEs' recovery drive". The Independent.
- Rachel Bridge (3 April 2011). "How I Made It". The Sunday Times.
- Hugo Greenhalgh (24 February 2012). "Costing the Dream". The Financial Times Limited.
- Easton, Harriet (24 January 2015). "Top 50 Business Advisers 2015 Announced". Enterprise Nation. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Wisbech business mentor in running for International Association of Bookkeepers award". The Wisbech Standard. Archant Community Media Ltd. 7 June 2013.
- "Quentin Pain – Winner of the IAB Small Business Mentor of the Year Award". Institute of Enterprise and Entrepreneurs Limited. 28 June 2013.