Questions 67 and 68
|"Questions 67 and 68"|
|Single by Chicago|
|from the album The Chicago Transit Authority|
"I'm a Man" (Re-release)
|Recorded||January 27/30, 1969|
|Length||5:03 (Initial release)
3:26 (1971 edit)
4:52 (Only the Beginning edit)
|Producer(s)||James William Guercio|
|Chicago singles chronology|
"Questions 67 and 68" is a 1969 song written by Robert Lamm for the rock band Chicago (then known as The Chicago Transit Authority) and recorded for their debut album The Chicago Transit Authority. It was their first single release. Lead vocals are shared by Lamm and Peter Cetera.
The questions in "Questions 67 and 68" address the nature of a romantic relationship Lamm had during 1967 and 1968. The lyrics include the title phrase only as the last words.
Released in July of 1969, the song peaked at #71 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and #82 on the Cash Box Top 100. After the band's success with subsequent singles, "Questions 67 and 68" was edited to a more radio-friendly length and was re-released in September 1971, with "I'm a Man" as the B-side. The edited single climbed to #24 on Billboard and #13 on Cash Box.
Weekly singles charts
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||71|
|U.S. Cash Box Top 100 ||82|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||24|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||34|
|U.S. Cash Box Top 100 ||13|
Cetera and Lamm recorded Japanese-language vocals for the song in 1971, and the version of the song with those vocals was released as a single in Japan. Columbia Records released the song only as a radio-only promotional 45 rpm single, with the English version on the other side. This recording was released digitally in 1998 on the Japan-only compilation CD The Heart Of Chicago 1967-1971 Volume II Special Edition (green cover), which also contains "Lowdown" sung in Japanese. The group performed the song live with the Japanese lyrics during tours of Japan in 1972, documented on the Live In Japan album, and again in 1995.
- Peter Cetera - lead vocals (majority of song), bass
- Robert Lamm - co-lead vocals (choruses), backing vocals, acoustic piano
- Terry Kath - fuzzed electric guitar
- Danny Seraphine - drums, tambourine
- Jimmy Pankow - trombone
- Lee Loughnane - trumpet
- Walt Parazaider - tenor saxophone
- "Questions 67 And 68 by Chicago Songfacts". Songfacts.com. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on November 22, 2015. Retrieved November 22, 2015.
- "Chicago Transit Authority Awards". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved May 24, 2016.
- "Chicago (2) - Questions 67 And 68 (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- [permanent dead link]