Quilt of Belonging
The 120-foot (37 m) long by 10.5-foot (3.2 m) high (36 metres by 3.5 metres) tapestry includes 263 quilt blocks, and portrays the cultural legacies of Canada’s First Peoples and of every nation in the world, all of which are part of Canada’s social fabric.
The Quilt of Belong was an art-in-community project, created by volunteers from Victoria to Newfoundland to the Arctic Circle, each of whom were invited to contribute a quilt piece reflecting their cultural backgrounds. The work was completed between 1999 and 2005. The materials in the pieces range from sealskin to African mud-cloth, from embroidered silk to gossamer wings of butterflies.
The inaugural exhibition of the completed Quilt of Belonging and the launch of the Quilt of Belonging book took place April 1, 2005 at the Canadian Museum of Civilization in Gatineau (Ottawa). The quilt, which was designed as a traveling exhibit, then went on a five-year tour across Canada, including communities in the arctic. It was the art exhibit of its kind to tour in Inuit communities.
- Quilt of Belonging: The Invitation Project, by Esther Bryan and Friends, Boston Mills Press.
- The Quilt of Belonging, Stitching Together the Stories of a Nation, by Janice Weaver, Maple Tree Press.
- Coming to Canada, Building a Life in a New Land, by Susan Hughes, Maple Tree Press.
- Rhona Richman Kenneally; Johanne Sloan (11 December 2010). Expo 67: Not Just a Souvenir. University of Toronto Press. pp. 103–. ISBN 978-1-4426-6021-2.
- "The fabric of the nation sewn together into a quilt, now spread in Hamilton". CBC News, Laura Clementson, Jul 10, 2017
- Polly Evans (27 January 2009). Mad Dogs and an Englishwoman: Travels with Sled Dogs in Canada's Frozen North. Random House Publishing Group. pp. 207–. ISBN 978-0-440-33826-0.
- Grace Li Xiu Woo (1 September 2011). Ghost Dancing with Colonialism: Decolonization and Indigenous Rights at the Supreme Court of Canada. UBC Press. pp. 329–. ISBN 978-0-7748-1890-2.
- "Quilt of Belonging brings Canada’s diversity to Manitoulin". Manitoulin Expositor, September 17, 2014
- "Quilt of Belonging". CHCH Television - Morning Live Show, August 3, 2017
- "VIDEO+PHOTOS: The Quilt of Belonging". by Cathie Coward Hamilton Spectator. Jul 11, 2017