Coples signing autographs at the Jets Draft Party in the locker room of MetLife Stadium on April 25, 2013.
|No. 98 New York Jets|
|Date of birth:||June 22, 1990|
|Place of birth:||Kinston, North Carolina|
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||290 lb (132 kg)|
|High school:||Chatham (VA) Hargrave Military|
|NFL draft:||2012 / Round: 1 / Pick: 16|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2014
|Stats at NFL.com|
Quinton Kyle Coples (born June 22, 1990) is an American football outside linebacker for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Jets in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft. He played college football at North Carolina.
High school career
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Kinston, North Carolina||Hargrave Military Academy||6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)||235 lb (107 kg)||4.8||Jan 18, 2008|
|Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 21 (DE) Rivals: 105, 3 (DE), 4 (V)|
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 6 in||284 lb||33¼ in||10¼ in||4.78 s||4.78 s||7.57 s||31.5 in||9 ft 1 in||25 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine.|
New York Jets (2012-present)
He was selected 16th overall in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft by the New York Jets. He signed a four-year contract worth $8.8 million on May 17, 2012. During his rookie season of 2012, Coples compiled with 30 tackles and 5.5 sacks. The Jets finished 6-10 (tied 3rd in AFC East) that season.
A week following the 2013 NFL Draft, the Jets announced that Coples would transition to outside linebacker. During a preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars on August 17, 2013, Coples suffered a hairline ankle fracture after defending a pass thrown by Chad Henne. The Jets projected that Coples was going to be out indefinitely due to the injury but he eventually returned during Week 3 against the Buffalo Bills on September 22, 2013. During the 2013 season, Coples performed somewhat well at his new position as an outside linebacker playing 14 games (13 started) with 38 tackles, a forced fumble, 3 passes defended, and 4.5 sacks. The Jets finished 8-8 (tied 2nd in AFC East) that season.
- "ESPN Profile". ESPN.com.
- Seven Tar Heels Named To All-ACC Teams
- "Quinton Coples Statistics". sports-reference.com.
- "Quinton Coples". NFL Draft Scout. Archived from the original on 29 April 2012. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- "Quinton Coples". National Football League. Archived from the original on 29 April 2012. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- Lange, Randy (26 April 2012). "Jets Rush to Take Quinton Coples at No. 16". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 29 April 2012. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- Vrentas, Jenny (17 May 2012). "Jets agree to four-year deal with first-round pick Quinton Coples". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on 18 May 2012. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- Mehta, Manish (18 May 2012). "Source: Jets sign veteran safety Yeremiah Bell to a one-year, $1.4 million deal". New York Daily News. Archived from the original on 18 May 2012. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- Glauber, Bob (May 2, 2013). "Quinton Coples excited about switch to outside linebacker". Retrieved June 18, 2013.