Coples signing autographs in April 2013
|Date of birth:||June 22, 1990|
|Place of birth:||Kinston, North Carolina|
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||290 lb (132 kg)|
|High school:||Kinston (NC)|
|NFL Draft:||2012 / Round: 1 / Pick: 16|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2015|
Quinton Kyle Coples (born June 22, 1990) is an American football defensive end who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the New York Jets in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft, and has also played for the Miami Dolphins and Los Angeles Rams. He played college football at North Carolina.
High school career
|Name||Home town||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Kinston, North Carolina||Hargrave Military Academy||6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)||235 lb (107 kg)||4.8||Jan 18, 2008|
|Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 21 (DE) Rivals: 105, 3 (DE), 4 (V)|
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 6 in||284 lb||33¼ in||10¼ in||4.78 s||1.68 s||2.81 s||4.76 s||7.57 s||31 in||9 ft 1 in||25 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine.|
New York Jets
Coples was selected 16th overall in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft by the New York Jets. He signed a four-year contract worth $8.8 million on May 17, 2012. During his rookie season of 2012, Coples compiled with 30 tackles and 5.5 sacks. The Jets finished 6–10 (tied 3rd in AFC East) that season.
With the acquiring of Sheldon Richardson in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Jets announced that Coples would transition to outside linebacker. During a preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars on August 17, 2013, Coples suffered a hairline ankle fracture after defending a pass thrown by Chad Henne. The Jets projected that Coples was going to be out indefinitely due to the injury but he eventually returned during Week 3 against the Buffalo Bills on September 22, 2013. During the 2013 season, Coples performed somewhat well at his new position as an outside linebacker playing 14 games (13 started) with 38 tackles, a forced fumble, 3 passes defended, and 4.5 sacks. The Jets finished 8–8 (tied 2nd in AFC East) that season.
In 2014, Coples played all 16 games with 15 starts mostly at the outside linebacker position and made 35 tackles with 6.5 sacks along with a forced fumble. The Jets plummeted to a 4-12 record, their worst record since 2007.
The Jets picked up the fifth-year, $7.8 million option of Coples' contract on April 23, 2015. Coples began to see limited playing time in 2015 due to a lack of performance as he only made 8 tackes along with a fumble recovery in 10 games. The Jets waived Coples on November 23, 2015.
Los Angeles Rams
- "ESPN Profile". ESPN.com.
- Seven Tar Heels Named To All-ACC Teams Archived December 4, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Quinton Coples Statistics". sports-reference.com.
- "Quinton Coples". NFL Draft Scout. Archived from the original on April 29, 2012. Retrieved April 29, 2012.
- "Quinton Coples". National Football League. Archived from the original on April 29, 2012. Retrieved April 29, 2012.
- Lange, Randy (April 26, 2012). "Jets Rush to Take Quinton Coples at No. 16". New York Jets. Archived from the original on April 29, 2012. Retrieved April 29, 2012.
- Vrentas, Jenny (May 17, 2012). "Jets agree to four-year deal with first-round pick Quinton Coples". The Star-Ledger. Archived from the original on May 18, 2012. Retrieved May 18, 2012.
- Mehta, Manish (May 18, 2012). "Source: Jets sign veteran safety Yeremiah Bell to a one-year, $1.4 million deal". New York Daily News. Archived from the original on May 18, 2012. Retrieved May 18, 2012.
- Glauber, Bob (May 2, 2013). "Quinton Coples excited about switch to outside linebacker". Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- Sessler, Marc (April 23, 2015). "Jets pick up Quinton Coples' fifth-year option". NFL.com. Retrieved November 23, 2015.
- Allen, Eric. "Jets Waive Quinton Coples". New York Jets. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- Hanzus, Dan (November 24, 2015). "Dolphins claim ex-Jets LB Quinton Coples off waivers". NFL.com. Retrieved November 24, 2015.
- Sessler, Marc (February 12, 2016). "Miami Dolphins cut Quinton Coples, Brice McCain". nfl.com. Archived from the original on February 12, 2016. Retrieved February 12, 2016.
- Patra, Kevin (March 16, 2016). "Quinton Coples agrees to 2-year contract with Rams". NFL.com. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- Bain, Nate. "Rams Announce First Round of Roster Cuts". TheRams.com.