View from High Rock of Cascade, Maryland
|Elevation||2,145 ft (654 m)|
|Location||Washington County, Maryland|
|Parent range||South Mountain, Blue Ridge Mountains|
Quirauk Mountain is the highest point on South Mountain. The 2,145-foot (654 m) peak is located in northeastern Washington County, Maryland. It lies just southwest of Fort Ritchie Military Reservation in the village of Cascade and about 1/2 mile southeast of the community of Blue Mountain. The Appalachian Trail and South Mountain State Park are about 1/2 mile to the west of the mountain's summit.
On the summit is a broadcast tower for radio stations WETH-FM and WAYZ-FM (in Hagerstown) and "Site C", a radio communication outpost of the Alternate Joint Communications Center, a United States Department of Defense emergency relocation site near Blue Ridge Summit, Pennsylvania. There is a fenced-in area of the mountaintop that is federal property and thus a restricted area. Quirauk Mountain's broadcast tower was formerly used by radio stations WJEJ-AM and WWMD-FM. A fire lookout tower also used to occupy the summit.
- USGS Topographic Map, Smithsburg (MD, PA) Quadrangle
- "South Mountain", Encyclopædia Britannica Online
- Hagerstown-Chambersburg Area Radio Stations Archived September 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- The Mount Weather Emergency Operations Center (see section "Telecommunications Links")
- Washington County Highpoint Trip Report
- Maryland Fire Lookouts Archived April 3, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on June 21, 2007. Retrieved September 26, 2007.
- Maryland Scenic Byways, p. 140