|This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.
Please share your thoughts on the matter at this article's entry on the Articles for deletion page.
Feel free to edit the article, but the article must not be blanked, and this notice must not be removed, until the discussion is closed. For more information, particularly on merging or moving the article during the discussion, read the guide to deletion.
Magazine publisher Sasha Cagen came up with the term "quirkyalone" on a New York City Subway platform on New Year's Eve, 1999. She expanded the concept into an essay in the first issue of her magazine To-Do List. When the article was republished in the Utne Reader in 2000, Cagen was surprised by the fervor of responses from readers who felt their lives had been validated by her work. As a result of these responses, Cagen opted to expand her essay into a 2004 book, titled Quirkyalone: A Manifesto for Uncompromising Romantics.
International Quirkyalone Day is February 14 and was chosen as an alternative to "the marketing barrage" of Valentine's Day. It started in 2003 as a "celebration of romance, freedom and individuality". Celebrations of the holiday have been noted in the United States, Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
- Hoggard, Liz (2001-02-01). "Are you single or a 'quirkyalone'?". guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- Finch, Amy (2004-02-13). "News & Features". www.bostonphoenix.com. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- Cagen, Sasha (2004). Quirkyalone: A Manifesto for Uncompromising Romantics. New York: HarperCollins. ISBN 978-0-06-057898-5. (2004) ISBN 0-06-057898-X.
- Garafola, Nick (2003-02-05). "International Quirkyalone Day". Utne Reader Magazine. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- McKay, Mary Jane (2003-02-13). "Alone? Celebrate Anyway, How About Anti-Valentine's Day? Or Quirkyalone Day ? - CBS News". www.cbsnews.com. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- Alletto, Michelle M. "Intentionally Single How Quirkyalones Are Challenging the Status Quo" (35.5 January/February 2006). Clamor Magazine. Retrieved 2009-02-14.