Jean René Constant Quoy
In 1806, he began his medical studies at the school of naval medicine at Rochefort, afterwards serving as an auxiliary-surgeon on a trip to the Antilles (1808–09). After earning his medical doctorate in 1814 at Montpellier, he was surgeon-major on a journey to Réunion (1814–15).
Along with Joseph Paul Gaimard, he served as naturalist and surgeon aboard the Uranie under Louis de Freycinet from 1817 to 1820, and on the Astrolabe (1826-1829) under the command of Jules Dumont d'Urville. Along with his skills as a naturalist, he was acclaimed for his work as an artist. On the Astrolabe expedition, Quoy and Gaimard discovered the now extinct giant skink of Tonga (Tachygia microlepis).
In 1824, he was appointed professor of anatomy at the Rochefort Naval School, where from 1832 to 1835, he was a professor of medicine. He then continued his career at naval hospitals in Toulon (1835-1837) and in Brest (1838-1848), afterwards being chosen inspector general of the Naval Bureau of Medicine and Surgery (serving from 1848 to 1858).
- Cracticus quoyi Lesson, 1827 – the black butcherbird
- Quoya Labbé, 1934 – a genus of sea slugs
- Quoyia A. Gray, 1839 – a genus of extinct marine gastropods
- Terebra quoygaimardi Cernohorsky, 1976 – a species of sea snail
- Pilumnus quoyi H. Milne-Edwards, 1834 – a species of crab
- Ischnochiton quoyanus J. Thiele, 1910 – a species of chiton
- Eulamprus quoyii A.M.C. Duméril & Bibron, 1839 – a species of skink
- Quoya Gaudich. – a genus of Australian plants
- Voyage autour du monde … pendant les années 1817, 1818, 1819 et 1820. (with Louis Claude Desaulses de Freycinet, Joseph Paul Gaimard, Charles Gaudichaud-Beaupré, et al.).
- Voyage de la corvette l'Astrolabe exécuté par ordre du Roi, pendant les années 1826-1827-1828-1829 sous le commandement de M. J. Dumont d'Urville. (with Jules-Sébastien-César Dumont d'Urville, J Tastu and Joseph Paul Gaimard).
- Data Fisheries Jean René Constant Quoy, Dr
- Tongan Giant Skink A gap in nature: discovering the world's extinct animals by Tim Fridtjof Flannery
- Discovery of Australia's Fishes: Google Books A History of Australian Ichthyology to 1930 by Brian Saunders
- Beolens, Bo; Watkins, Michael; Grayson, Michael (2011). The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. xiii + 296 pp. ISBN 978-1-4214-0135-5. ("Quoy", p. 214).
- Open Library Voyage autour du monde
- WorldCat Title Voyage de la corvette l'Astrolabe