Qusin, from the south
|State||State of Palestine|
|• Type||Village council|
|Name meaning||The two cloisters|
Qusin (Arabic: قوصين) is a Palestinian town in the Nablus Governorate in northern West Bank, located 8 kilometers West of Nablus. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS), the town had a population of 1,734 inhabitants in mid-year 2006.
Qusin, like the rest of Palestine, was incorporated into the Ottoman Empire in 1517, and in the census of 1596 it was a part of the nahiya ("subdistrict") of Jabal Sami which was under the administration of the liwa ("district") of Nablus. The village had a population of 15 households and 7 bachelors, all Muslim. The villagers paid a fixed tax-rate of 33,3% on agricultural products, such as wheat, barley, summer crops, beehives and/or goats, in addition to occasional revenues and a customary tax for people of Nablus area; a total of 6,300 akçe.
In 1882, the Palestine Exploration Fund's Survey of Western Palestine, Kusein was described as: "A village on the side of a ridge, apparently supplied by the water of the valley on the north, which has a flowing stream. A spring exists about three-quarters of a mile south-east in the valley." They further noted that: "The ruin shown near this place is merely a heap of stones."
British Mandate era
In the 1945 statistics, Qusin had a population of 310 Muslims while the total land area was 4,543 dunams, according to an official land and population survey. Of this, 59 dunams were used for plantations and irrigable land, 3,227 for cereals, while 21 dunams were classified as built-up areas.
The Jordanian census of 1961 found 494 inhabitants.
After the 1995 accords 51% of village land is defined as Area B land, while the remaining 49% is defined as Area C. Israel has confiscated about 500 dunham of village land for future expansion of Israeli settlements, and additional land for Israeli bypass roads.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 187
- .2017 estimated to have 2,250 inhabitants. Projected Mid -Year Population for Nablus Governorate by Locality 2004- 2006 Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics
- Qusin Village Profile, ARIJ, p. 4
- Dauphin, 1998, p.771
- Le Strange, 1890, p. 490
- Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 129
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 160
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 201
- Barron, 1923, Table IX, p. 24
- Mills, 1932, p. 64
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 19
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 60
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 107
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 157
- Government of Jordan, Department of Statistics, 1964, p. 26
- Qusin Village Profile, ARIJ, pp. 16-17
- Barron, J.B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, C.R.; Kitchener, H.H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology. 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Dauphin, Claudine (1998). La Palestine byzantine, Peuplement et Populations. BAR International Series 726 (in French). III : Catalogue. Oxford: Archeopress. ISBN 0-860549-05-4.
- Government of Jordan, Department of Statistics (1964). First Census of Population and Housing. Volume I: Final Tables; General Characteristics of the Population (PDF).
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics (1945). Village Statistics, April, 1945.
- Hadawi, S. (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Hütteroth, Wolf-Dieter; Abdulfattah, Kamal (1977). Historical Geography of Palestine, Transjordan and Southern Syria in the Late 16th Century. Erlanger Geographische Arbeiten, Sonderband 5. Erlangen, Germany: Vorstand der Fränkischen Geographischen Gesellschaft. ISBN 3-920405-41-2.
- Le Strange, G. (1890). Palestine Under the Moslems: A Description of Syria and the Holy Land from A.D. 650 to 1500. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E.H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.