|Municipal assoc.||Am Klosterwasser|
|• Mayor||Franz Brußk (CDU)|
|• Total||11.51 km2 (4.44 sq mi)|
|Elevation||164 m (538 ft)|
|• Density||96/km2 (250/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Räckelwitz (Sorbian: Worklecy) is a municipality in Bautzen district, in the state of Saxony, Germany. The municipality of Räckelwitz has a population of 1,170 and is a member of the municipal association "Am Klosterwasser" (Zarjadniski zwjazk „Při Klóšterskej wodźe“).
Räckelwitz is also the name of the largest village in the municipality. The village has a population of 506. Räckelwitz is the birthplace of the well-known Sorbian author Jurij Brězan. The prime minister of Saxony, Stanislaw Tillich, was born in Neudörfel/Nowa Wjeska.
Räckelwitz is first mentioned in a document from 1280 which calls it Rokolewicz. From 1304 there was a manor house in the village. The house's last owner, Countess Monika zu Stolberg, bequeathed it the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, and from 1903 to 2000, the former manor was a Roman Catholic hospital run by that religious order.
The municipality is approx. 8 km east of the town of Kamenz und 15 km north-west of Bautzen, the capital of the local district. South of Räckelwitz are the "lowlands" (Delany) and the municipalities of Panschwitz-Kuckau and Crostwitz.
Bundesautobahn 4 passes by Räckelwitz by about 6 km to the south. The municipality is located in the west of Upper Lusatia on the edge of the West Lusatian Hills, between the pond region (Teichlandschaft) to the north, and the Lusatian Highlands to the south. Flowing east of Räckelwitz is the Klosterwasser, a tributary of the Black Elster river.
Population by village
The municipality consists of the following villages (names given in both languages, German/Sorbian), with population figures for 2010:
- Dreihäuser/Horni Hajnk, 11 inh.
- Höflein/Wudwor, 136 inh.
- Neudörfel/Nowa Wjeska, 170 inh.
- Räckelwitz/Worklecy, 494 inh.
- Schmeckwitz/Smječkecy, 294 inh.
- Teichhäuser/Haty, 29 inh.
The Herrenhaus was built as a baroque manor house, a 9-axis building with one flight of stairs. Its chapel is notable as being in the style of the Beuron Art School. The Herrenhaus was turned into a hospital in the 20th century, with a total of 10,000 people born there. The 20th-century additions to the building were removed in 2009. A house in the garden is home to the Congregation of the Sisters of Divine Providence, who worked in the hospital until their retirement. The house itself contained a nursing department of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, and is planning to become a home care and retirement home. The house contains several coats of arms and monogrammed stones of the House of Stolberg, its original owners.
Evangelical church in Schmeckwitz/Smječkecy
Räckelwitz municipality has a primary school and Michał Hórnik Mittelschule, one of four remaining Sorbian Mittelschulen in Saxony.
The following famous people come from Räckelwitz municipality:
- Michał Hórnik (1833–1894), Sorbian spiritual leader and one of the main proponents of Sorbian writing in the 19th century
- Jurij Brězan (1916–2006), Sorbian author
- Benedikt Dyrlich (b 1950 in Neudörfel/Nowa Wjeska), author, politician and journalist
- Stanislaw Tillich/Stanisław Tilich (b 1959), politician, prime minister of Saxony
- Jěwa-Marja Čornakec (b 1959), author and editor of the Sorbian cultural magazine Rozhlad
- Olaf Pollack (b 1973), professional cyclist
- Ronny Kockel (b 1975), goalkeeper for KFC Uerdingen 05
- Peggy Wagenführ (b 1976), biathlete
- Tino Semmer (b 1985), footballer
|Party or Association||2009||2004|
|Christian Democrat Union of Germany (CDU)||70.6||9||75.3||9|
|Free Sorbian Voters' Association (FSWV)||25.4||3||24.7||3|
|Free Democratic Party (FDP)||4.0||0||-||0|
The local council has 12 members (Election 2014)
- (CDU): 9 seats
- Free Sorbians Voters' Association (FSWV) (Freie Sorbische Wählervereinigung (FSW)): 3 seats
Poll: 62,2 %
Mayor: since 1974 Franz Brußk
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Räckelwitz.|
- Cornelius Gurlitt: "Räckelwitz" in Beschreibende Darstellung der älteren Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Königreichs Sachsen, 35. Heft: Amtshauptmannschaft Kamenz (Land). C. C. Meinhold, Dresden 1912, p289.
- "Aktuelle Einwohnerzahlen nach Gemeinden 2015] (Einwohnerzahlen auf Grundlage des Zensus 2011)" (PDF). Statistisches Landesamt des Freistaates Sachsen (in German). July 2016.
- Walde, Martin: Demographisch-statistische Betrachtungen im Gemeindeverband "Am Klosterwasser" in: Lětopis 51 (2004), volume 1
- Figure for 2008 from am-klosterwasser.de
- Figures from am-klosterwasser.de
- Ergebnisse der Bürgermeisterwahl auf statistik.sachsen.de