|• Total||2,137.79 km2 (825.41 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,920.66 km2 (741.57 sq mi)|
|• Water||217.13 km2 (83.83 sq mi)|
|Area as of 1 January 2014.|
(31 December 2017)
|• Density||5.1/km2 (13/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
|Density is calculated using land area only.|
In 1963 the municipality was reunited with Boda, which had been detached from it in 1875, and in 1974 Ore was added, thus forming the present municipality.
It is located in a traditional forest and agriculture environment, which is how most of Sweden looked in the 19th century and earlier. Nowadays, its culture also attracts a significant number of tourists.
The area near Rättvik municipality has the highest population of brown bears in Sweden.
The contiguous urban area, or locality of Rättvik lies on Lake Siljan, and had 4,588 inhabitants in 2005; it is widely known for its old tradition of folkmusic and the beauty of the surroundings close to Lake Siljan; it is included on many tours of Sweden as an example of a traditional Swedish and Scandinavian way of living.
Its culture and landscape are by some regarded as being as genuinely Swedish as it gets. For instance, Rättvik still has its picturesque old church located by the water, where it is surrounded by old "church stables" where the church visitors used to leave their horses.
Every year the folk music festival "Music at Siljan" is held in Rättvik, by the shores of Siljan.
The annual summer opera festival, the Dalhalla Opera, takes place 7km north of the town in an open-air theatre located in a former limestone quarry.
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (Microsoft Excel) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2017" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 21, 2018. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Tätorternas landareal, folkmängd och invånare per km2 2000 och 2005" (xls) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2009-05-09.
- Rättvik Municipality – Official site
- Dalecarlia Horses - The Original
- Dalhalla Opera - Official site
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rättvik Municipality.|