Chassagne performing with Arcade Fire in 2017
|Birth name||Régine Alexandra Chassagne|
|Born||19 August 1976|
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Régine Alexandra Chassagne (French pronunciation: [ʁeˈʒin ʃaˈsaːɲ]; born 19 August 1976) is a Canadian singer, songwriter, musician, multi-instrumentalist, and is a founding member of the band Arcade Fire. She is married to co-founder Win Butler.
Life and career
Régine Alexandra Chassagne was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and grew up in St-Lambert, a suburb south of Montreal. Her parents, who were of Haitian origin, emigrated from Haiti during the dictatorship of François Duvalier, which is alluded to in the Arcade Fire song "Haïti", in which she sings, Mes cousins jamais nés hantent les nuits de Duvalier ("My unborn cousins haunt Duvalier's nights"). The line is in reference to the relatives who were killed during the Jérémie Vespers massacre.
Chassagne attended Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf before earning a B.A. in communication studies at Concordia University in 1998, and went on to study jazz voice briefly at McGill University. She was singing jazz at an art opening at Concordia in 2000, when Win Butler met her and persuaded her to join his band. They married in 2003 and their son was born on 21 April 2013.
Chassagne has also been involved with a medieval-themed band called Les Jongleurs de la Mandragore, and with Jimmy Rouleau in the jazz duo, Azúcar. She also wrote the music for the two-minute David Uloth sketch "The Shine", and contributed to the UNICEF benefit project as part of the North American Hallowe'en Prevention Initiative, performing the song "Do They Know It's Hallowe'en?" along with Win Butler.
She plays many instruments on stage, including accordion, drums, xylophone, hurdy-gurdy, keyboards and organ. In Arcade Fire, Chassagne performs lead vocals on some songs, including "Haiti", "In the Backseat", "Black Wave/Bad Vibrations", "Empty Room", "Abraham's Daughter", "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)", "Creature Comfort", and "Electric Blue".
In March 2015, Chassagne, along with husband and Arcade Fire bandmate Win Butler, attended the launch of music streaming service Tidal, and revealed themselves, along with other notable artists, as shareholders in the company.
Regine appears in the re-recorded version of the U2 song "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (Gotham Experience Remix)" Remixed by St Francis Hotel, the track contains vocals by Gavin Friday and Régine and was played in an animated video during the U2 Experience + Innocence Tour in 2018.
- Hoard, Christian (10 March 2005). "The Fire This Time". Rolling Stone (969). pp. 59–60. Posted in an abridged form at "The Fire This Time". rollingstone.com. 24 February 2005. Archived from the original on 2 October 2007. Retrieved 19 October 2007.
- Carpenter, Lorraine. (16 September 2004). "Hot property Archived 15 November 2006 at the Wayback Machine." Montreal Mirror. Retrieved 19 October 2007.
- "Arcade Fire talk about their music." (6 March 2007). Raidió Teilifís Éireann. Retrieved 16 March 2007.
- Hanley Bemis, Alec. (1 December 2004). " Weddings & Funerals Archived 12 March 2007 at the Wayback Machine." LA Weekly. Retrieved 19 October 2007.
- "Régine Chassagne". www.concordia.ca. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- McDonagh, Patrick. (Fall 2006). "Musical Joy." Concordia University Magazine. Retrieved 19 October 2007.
- "The Arcade Fire is red hot Archived 12 March 2007 at the Wayback Machine." (Winter 2004). McGill News. Retrieved 19 October 2007.
- Michaels, Sean (29 April 2013). "Arcade Fire's Win Butler and Régine Chassagne become parents". The Guardian. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "gave birth" "Arcade Fire's Win Butler, Regine Chassagne Welcome Baby Boy". Rolling Stone. 26 April 2013. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "Les Jongleurs de la Mandragore." (n.d.). Retrieved 19 October 2007.
- "Le Canada Francais". 14 February 2002.
- "The Shine (2002)." (n.d.). The Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 19 October 2007.
- "Six awkward moments at Jay Z's Tidal relaunch". BBC. 31 March 2015. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Régine Chassagne.|