R-2 visa

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The R-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa which allows travel to United States for the spouse or children of an individual who has received an R-1 visa, for work in a ministerial or otherwise religious capacity.[1] Children seeking an R-2 visa must be under 21 years of age and unmarried.[2] The status of an R-2 visa holder is dependent on the status of the principal R-1 worker. Individuals staying in the US on an R-2 are not permitted to work, but may attend school.[1] In order to qualify for an R-2, the principal R-1 worker must be able to demonstrate that they are able to financially support themselves and their dependents.[3] Individuals staying in the US on an R-2 visa are eligible to apply for permanent residency.[4]

See also[edit]


  1. ^ a b Immigration pocket field guide. Matthew Bender & Company, Inc. 2013. p. 50.
  2. ^ "R-1 Temporary Nonimmigrant Religious Workers". US Citizenship and Immigration Services. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
  3. ^ "Temporary Religious Worker Visa". US Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
  4. ^ "R2 Dependent Visa". US Visa FAQ. Retrieved 11 October 2016.

External links[edit]