Russell runs the award-winning Tartarus Press with Rosalie Parker, and for many years compiled the Guide to First Edition Prices. As an author he has had three collections of short stories and three novellas published. His story "Loup-garou" was chosen for Ellen Datlow’s The Best Horror of the Year. "In Hiding" was nominated for the 2010 World Fantasy Award, and "The Beautiful Room" for the 2011 British Fantasy Award. Michael Dirda has described Russell as "...among the leading practitioners of classic supernatural fiction".
He contributes artwork to Tartarus Press titles, and a selection of his art was on display at the Link Gallery, Dean Clough, Halifax, 2010/11.
Russell is also a songwriter, having previously composed songs released by The Bollweevils. His first solo CD, Ghosts, was released by Klanggalerie in February 2012. The accompanying video presentation was premiered in Vienna in March 2012, and was subsequently shown at Dean Clough Galleries October 2012.
Guide to First Edition Prices
- Eight editions, Tartarus Press, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007 & 2010.
- Putting the Pieces in Place, Ex Occidente Press (Bucharest, Romania), 2009.
- Literary Remains, PS Publishing (Hornsea, East Yorkshire), 2010.
- Leave Your Sleep, PS Publishing (Hornsea, East Yorkshire), 2012.
- Bloody Baudelaire, Ex Occidente Press (Bucharest, Romania), 2009.
- The Dark Return of Time, Swan River Press (Dublin, Ireland), 2014.
- The Stones are Singing, PS Publishing (Hornsea, East Yorkshire), 2016.
- Ghosts, Swan River Press (Dublin, Ireland), 2012. (Contains Putting the Pieces in Place and Bloody Baudelaire. Available with Ghosts CD in a limited edition.)
- Ghosts, Klanggalerie (Austria), 2012.
- Bloody Baudelaire: A Soundtrack, Klanggalerie (Austria), 2014.
- The Romance of Shortwave Radio Numbers Stations, Persepolis, 2016.
- The Dark Return of Time, 2016 (co-scriptwriter/associate producer)
- Backgammon, 2016 (co-scriptwriter)
- Coverdale: A Year in the Life, 2016 (co-director/producer)
- Robert Aickman: Author of Strange Tales, 2015 (co-director/producer)
- Current 93: Live at Halifax Minster, 2014 (co-director/producer)
- Collecting Vinyl Records: A Personal History, 2012 (director/producer)
- A Mild Case of Bibliomania, 2011 (director/producer)
- "An Interview with R.B. Russell", by John Kenny, Swan River Press Interviews May, 2012.
- "An Interview with R.B. Russell", by Jason Rolfe, Bibliomancy Tuesday, 7 February 2012.
- "An Interview with Ray Russell", by Everett Bleiler, Fantasy Commentator, Winter 2001-2002, pps.97-100.
- "Uncollected Characters of the Book World: 5", by Victoria Hyde-Greene, Antiquarian Book Monthly, May 1999, pps8-9.
- Tartarus Press website
- isfdb entry
- Illustrations by Russell
- Discogs entry
- imdb entry
- "Review" by Robert McCrum, Literary Editor, The Observer, 14/11/99
- World Fantasy Awards 2010
- British Fantasy Awards 2010
- Dirda's Reading Room, The Washington Post, May 2012
- IMDb entry
- imdb entry
- Discogs entry for Talk To Me
- Ghosts page at Discogs
- Ghosts CD and videos launch
- What's On at Dean Clough
- Ellen Datlow, The Best Horror of the Year, Night Shade Books, 2010, p.21.
- Peter Bell, Supernatural Tales 18, Autumn 2010, pp3 82-83.
- Publishers Weekly, 25 August 2009.
- "A Bird Was Learning Its Song," by Adrian Tahourdin, Times Literary Supplement, 21 May 1999.
- Bloody Baudelaire: A Soundtrack page at Discogs
- The Romance of Shortwave Radio Numbers Stations page at Discogs
- Northern Echo report of premiere
- Film maker's webpage for Robert Aickman: Author of Strange Tales
- Film maker's webpage for Current 93: Live at Halifax Minster
- Film maker's webpage for Collecting Vinyl Records: A Personal History
- Film maker's webpage for A Mild Case of Bibliomania