R. J. Archer
Archer with the Detroit Lions
|Date of birth:||August 5, 1987|
|Place of birth:||Charlottesville, Virginia|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||220 lb (100 kg)|
|High school:||Charlottesville (VA) Albemarle|
|College:||William & Mary|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Career Arena statistics|
|Player stats at ArenaFan.com|
Rush James "R. J." Archer II (born August 5, 1987) is an American football quarterback who is currently a free agent. He went undrafted in the 2010 NFL Draft, afterwards signing with the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League.
Archer enrolled at The College of William & Mary and was redshirted his first year, during which time he ran the scout team. During the 2006 and 2007 seasons, he changed positions from quarterback to wide receiver, where he totaled 69 receptions. In 2008, he moved back to quarterback, but was not the full-time starter until the 2009 season when he threw for 16 touchdowns and nine interceptions.
College career statistics
|2006||William & Mary||0||1||0||0.0||0||0||0.0||1||15||15.0||0||30||489||0|
|2007||William & Mary||1||3||25||33.3||0||0||103.3||1||-1||-1.0||0||39||451||1|
|2008||William & Mary||28||53||387||52.8||3||1||129.7||23||90||3.9||2||0||0||0|
|2009||William & Mary||261||433||2,778||60.3||16||9||122.2||100||255||2.5||5||0||0||0|
Archer went undrafted in the 2010 NFL Draft, but was signed by the Vikings as an undrafted free agent. He was released prior to training camp on June 29. On November 10, 2010, Archer signed with the Spokane Shock of the Arena Football League.
With injuries to Vikings quarterbacks Brett Favre and Joe Webb, Minnesota re-signed him to the practice squad on December 7. He was subsequently placed on the Other League Exempt list by the Spokane Shock. He was elevated to the Vikings' 53-man roster on December 20 when quarterback Tarvaris Jackson was placed on injured reserve. He took the roster spot of guard Steve Hutchinson. The next day, it was reported that Archer was waived by the Vikings in favor of quarterback Rhett Bomar, who was signed off the practice squad of the New York Giants.
On October 11, 2012, Archer was added to the practice roster of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL. He was promoted to the active roster on November 1 and played in one game for the Blue Bombers during the 2012 season.
On September 22, 2015, Archer signed with the BC Lions. He was released following the season.
On December 3, 2015, the Sharks activated Archer from the other league exempt list.
- "ArenaFan: Rush 'RJ' Archer". Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- McIntyre, Brian. "R.J. Archer added by Lions to compete with Moore". Retrieved June 22, 2012.
- McCosky, Chris (August 23, 2012). "Lions release QB RJ Archer to make room for special teams ace Kassim Osgood". The Detroit News. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- "The Blue Bombers have also added a QB R.J. Archer to practice roster". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Transactions - November 2012". cfl.ca. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- "2012 Winnipeg Blue Bombers". profootballarchives.com. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Don Coble (February 10, 2015). "Former Jacksonville Sharks QB R.J. Archer excited about getting NFL shot in Seattle". www.jacksonville.com. The Florida Times-Union. Retrieved February 11, 2015.