R.V. College of Engineering
|ರಾಷ್ಟ್ರೀಯ ವಿದ್ಯಾಲಯ ತಾಂತ್ರಿಕ ಮಹಾವಿದ್ಯಾಲಯ|
|Motto||Sanskrit: Prajvalitō Jnānamaya Pradïpah|
Motto in English
|Light the lamp of Knowledge|
|Principal||Prof. B.S Sathyanarayana|
|Location||Bangalore, Karnataka, India
|Campus||Urban, 56 acres (230,000 m2), 13 km from Bangalore city on Mysore Road.|
|Colors||White and Black|
|Sports||University level Cricket, Association Football, Badminton, Basketball|
Rashtreeya Vidyalaya College of Engineering (RVCE or R.V. College of Engineering, Rāshtrīya Vidyālaya Tāntrika Mahāvidyālaya) is a private technical co-educational college located in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. Established in 1963, RVCE has 11 departments in engineering, one school in architecture, and a Master of Computer Applications department. It is affiliated to the Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. The undergraduate courses are granted academic autonomy by the university. RVCE is accredited by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and all its departments are accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA). The college has twinning programs and tie ups with many institutions across the world, as well as collaborations with the industry. The annual festival of the college is called 8th Mile, and each of the departments host their own festivals. The students of RVCE operate many student projects, most notable being the ones supported by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), and the ones which participate in the competitions conducted by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).
- 1 Facilities
- 2 Administration
- 3 Academic profile
- 4 Student activities
- 5 Student projects
- 6 Notable alumni
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
RVCE is spread over 53 acres (21 ha) on the banks of the Vrishabhavati River in Bangalore, located on the Mysore Road, in between Bangalore University gate and Kengeri. The nearest commuter railway station is Jnanabharati Station, and the nearest major railway station is the Bangalore City Railway Station. The campus has a building for each undergraduate department, with the exception of the Biotechnology, Information Science, Instrumentation Technology and Master of Computer Applications departments, which are housed in a single building.
The college has a post office with postal identification as R.V. Vidyaniketan P.O, and a bank operated by ING on its campus. The canteen serves North Indian, South Indian and Chinese vegetarian cuisine. RVCE offers internet connectivity at its browsing center, with Wi-fi access all over campus, along with copier facilities. The college also operates a health center.
RVCE has 4 hostels on campus, namely the Cauvery Hostel for first year students, the Sir. M. Visvesvaraya Block for the final year students, and the Diamond Jubilee Block hostel for the rest of the students. The hostels on campus are completely meant for boys. The college, along with the managing trust (RSST) operates 4 other hostels in Bangalore located in locations like Jayanagar, J.P. Nagar, and Rajarajeshwari Nagar meant exclusively for the girls.
A rainwater harvesting system sponsored by KPMG has been installed near the Telecommunication Engineering block, and a similar system is in place near the administrative block, the construction of which was supervised by the department of Civil engineering. Both the harvesting systems make use of a sump, and the stored water is typically used for gardening purposes.
The college is managed by the Rashtreeya Shikshana Samiti Trust located in Jayanagar, Bangalore, chaired by Dr. Panduranga Setty.
Industry collaborations and MoUs
The college has industry collaborations and Memorandums of Understanding (MoU)s with companies and universities. The college has tied up with universities in India, the United States, Germany, South Korea and Singapore. The college has twinning programs with many institutions including Konyang University, South Korea University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee; West Virginia University; University of Missouri; Lamar University, all in the United States, Aachen University and University of Muenster in Germany; ISMANS, France; University of Sydney and University of Wollongong, both in Australia. The college also has ties with the Kuvempu University, Shimoga; and Mangalore University.
In 2007, RVCE signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with IT company Cognizant Technology Solutions to strengthen industry-academia partnership. In October 2009, Pace Embedded Systems opened a Embedded Systems lab at RVCE to train the students in Digital Television and Embedded Systems. The college also has industrial interactions with companies like ABB, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP), DELL, WIPRO, Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) and the Indian Railways.
The college offers placement on campus for its students. A few of the companies which have visited the college for campus placements are Microsoft, Oracle, Google, Dell, Delphi, Intel, Yahoo, IBM, Caterpillar, Accenture, ABB, Citrix, Wipro, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Infosys, Quest Global and Sasken.
Students are admitted to undergraduate courses on basis of their merit in the Karnataka CET test, or in the COMED-K undergraduate test. Students are also admitted through a management quota, which does not place merit requirements. There is a lateral entry scheme in place, by which students holding diploma degrees can enter directly to the second year of study in engineering. Students, upon graduating, receive a Bachelor of Engineering or a Bachelor of Architecture degree.
Course content and Grading
All the departments which have been conferred autonomous status set their own course content and grading system. RVCE follows the credit-based system of performance evaluation, with proportional weighting of courses based on their importance. The total marks (usually out of 100) form the basis of grades, with a grade value (out of 10) assigned to a range of marks. For each semester, the students are graded by taking a weighted average from all the courses with their respective credit points. Each semester's evaluation is done independently with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) reflecting the average performance across semesters. The medium of instruction is English.
RVCE has been recognised as a centre for excellence by the Union Government of India. In 2008, the college had the highest number of gold medal-winners among colleges affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University. The department of Mechanical engineering of RVCE is the state's first degree programme in a private institution to be accredited by the National Board of Accreditation.
|Outlook India||9th among all private engineering colleges in India.||2008|
|LiveMint||6th among all private engineering colleges in India.||2008|
|LiveMint||9th among all private engineering colleges in India.||2009|
|India Today||24th among all engineering colleges in India.||2009|
|Hindustan Times||7th among all private engineering colleges in India.||2010|
|India Today||15th among all engineering colleges in India.||2010|
Departments and courses
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science And Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical And Electronics Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and Management
- Information Science Engineering
- Instrumentation Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Telecommunication Engineering
- The School Of Architecture offers a 5-year course in architecture.
- Master of Computer Applications
- Master of Technology offered by departments of Computer Science, Information Science, Electronics and Communication and Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Architecture
Cricket and Football are widely played across the college campus. The college has a cricket team, which has won major competitions like the Chamaraju Memorial inter-collegiate tournament. The college's football team has excelled in tournaments like the VTU South Zone football tournaments. Basketball is fast gaining popularity among the women, after the women's team excelled in University tournaments, as well as other tournaments. The college Badminton team frequently excels in university-level tournaments, having won many of them.
8th Mile is the main annual techno cultural festival of the college, with inter-college competitions. RV Quizcorp, the quiz club of RVCE conducts the national level college and corporate quiz festival Under the Peepal Tree each year. The Science Forum of the college, consisting of freshman students conducts Genesis, the intercollegiate festival. Apart from this, each department conducts its own festivals, some of them being Infinity(Department of Information Science and Engineering), Impulse(Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering), Vortex(Department of Mechanical Engineering), Vantage(Department of Instrumentation Technology), and Connect(Department of Telecommunication Engineering). All of these are intercollegiate technical and cultural festivals.
Literary and language awareness
R.V. College of Engineering is famed to have one of the best Debating Societies in India, and the only debating society in India to have emerged Asian Champions. The R.V Debating Society (RV DebSoc - as it is popularly known), has 60 members, and takes part in tournaments across the world, with success at tournaments such as the All Asians Intervarsity Tournament. Members of the club participated in the 13th All Asian Debate Championship in Langkawi, Malaysia and won the "Best New Team Award" in the 12th All Asian Debate Championship. The society also participates in inter varsity competitions held by Oxford University and Cambridge University. The society also won the 2011 Asian British Parliamentary Debate held at Dhaka, Bangladesh. Since its inception, the DebSoc has won almost every tournament in India, ranging from the IITs, NITs, Law Schools. RV DebSoc also hosts the R.V Debating Tournament,the Largest Debate Tournament in India, which receives participation from all over India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Singapore, Europe(Oxford and Cambridge) and many more countries. The RV Debating Society is proud of being one of the oldest and most active, successful clubs in R.V. College of Engineering.
Kannada Sangha is the club dedicated to spreading Kannada language and cultural awareness. The club conducts Kannada classes and holds a cultural fest every year.
RVEcell, the entrepreneurship cell was started in 2006 by Pushkar Gejji, Kauser Johar and Piyush Gupta under the guidance of Prof N.S Narahari, Director Placement and Training. The cell promotes the spirit of entrepreneurship and provides a platform for the students to showcase their business talents. The organization conducts an annual business plan/ideas contest where entries are invited throughout Karnataka. The cell won the Best Microsite Award from National Entrepreneurship Network(NEN) in 2006.
The Rotaract Club of RVCE is affiliated to Rotary International District 3190 The club conducts blood donation camps, National pulse polio drives, tree plantation drives and eye check-up camps. Raag is the youth club of RVCE. The club provides the students a platform to showcase their leadership skills, talents in music, art and craft and also literary interests by organizing college level events like Opinions, an open discussion forum. The club, along with the National Service Scheme(NSS) unit of college, organizes visit to leprosariums and orphanages. It organizes an Eye Pledging Camp in association with the Lions Eye Bank, Bangalore.
A team of students of RVCE, along with students from some other colleges in the country and the Indian Space Research Organisation, teamed up to make the first pico satellite in India, called STUDSAT. The pico satellite was launched by the PSLV C-15 on 12 June 2010 from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota. The camera on board has a low resolution of 90 metres. The panchromatic images are designed to provide terrain information during the satellite's short lifespan of six months to one year.
Ashwa, a Formula racing car. The car won the "Best Car from South Asia" award in the Formula Society of Automotive Engineers (FSAE) event in Germany. The team was also the first Indian team to compete in the FSAE event in 2005 in Australia, which won the "Best Value for Money" award. The project team has been awarded the "Young Achiever 2007" award, an award instituted by the Rotary Midtown and the Brigade Group. Team Vyoma, a student group designs and manufactures UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) to participate in Aerodesign competitions conducted by the Society of Automotive Engineers in Marietta, GA; and in Brazil. The team is the first Asian team to compete in the Aerodesign competitions.
Team Helios Racing.. An All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) that can travel on muddy swamps and climb up hills was designed by a group of students from the Mechanical engineering department. The vehicle entered the "Mini BAJA Challenge" — an international challenge in Pretoria in October 2006. Became the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS in an event called BAJA STUDENT INDIA in January 2015.
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) operates a student branch in RVCE. It organises many events, some of them being a workshop LabVIEW (Laboratory Virtual Instrumentation Engineering Workbench),which is a platform and development environment for a visual programming language from National Instruments, various paper presentation competitions, and a seminar competition.
Garuda, a fuel-efficient, aerodynamic car, was designed by the Mechanical engineering students. The car reportedly gives a mileage of 180 kilometers per litre of fuel. Project Garuda members were the only team from India to participate in the Shell Eco Marathon held at Rockingham Raceway, Corby, UK. Project Garuda was awarded the `Most Persevering Team' award, which is given to the best first-time participant every year.
Eight students of the RV College of Engineering developed a vehicle consuming water as a fuel. Together, they have developed a water-powered hybrid auto rickshaw. The team has developed an inexpensive and simple retrofit kit for auto rickshaws.
In June 2008, the students developed a prototype of a hybrid-electric vehicle that uses both electric energy and diesel mixed with bio-diesel. According to The Hindu, this is the first indigenous hybrid-electric prototype in the country and among very few prototypes to use bio-diesel. The project, codenamed ‘Chimera', was conceived and the prototype developed by the final year students of four engineering disciplines — Mechanical, Electrical and Computer science and Industrial engineering.
Nikhil Prasad, winner of the Junior Orange Bowl tennis Championships held at Miami, USA. Anil Kumble, former captain of the Indian Test Cricket Team and winner of Arjuna Award in 1995 and Padma Shri Award in 2005 graduated from RVCE with a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Another alumnus of the college is Table tennis player Chetan Baboor, who represented India in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. Komati Venkata Reddy and P.G.R. Scindia, politicians from Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka respectively, are alumni of the college. Ashok Nayak, chairman of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited and noted Kannada singer Nanditha also call the college their alma mater.
- "Quality is the motto". The Hindu. 16 August 2004. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "Principal profile". RVCE, Bangalore. 5 August 2009. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "VTU Circular" (PDF). Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. 2009-08-05. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- "RVCE Departments". RVCE, Bangalore. 2010-01-22. Retrieved 2011-01-10.
- "About RVCE". R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore. 2009-08-05. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- "Amenities in RVCE". R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore. 2009-08-05. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- "Amenities in RVCE". R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore. 2009-08-05. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- "RVCE pact with University of South Korea". The Hindu. 25 April 2002. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Newsletter" (PDF). Association of Kannada Kootas of America (AKKA). Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Profile of School of Architecture, RVCE". RVCE, Bangalore. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Politique Internationale de I'ISMANS" (PDF). ISMANS. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Collaborations". R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore. 2009-08-05. Retrieved 2011-01-20.
- "Kuvempu offers PG course in nanoscience". The Hindu. 21 April 2008. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Special science courses". The Hindu. 12 November 2007. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "RVCE, Cognizant enter into MoU". The Hindu. 28 June 2007. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "Pace India sets up Pace Embedded Systems Lab at R.V. College of Engineering". The Financial Express. 14 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "Pace India Sets Up Pace Embedded Systems Lab at R.V. College of Engineering". Business Wire, India. 14 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- CET 2010 Bulletin, Status of Engineering Seats, Karnataka Examinations Authority, Government of Karnataka, p.1-5
- "PGCET Seat Matrix" (PDF). Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. 5 August 2009. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- RVCE Brochure, Year 2010, p.1-28
- Staff Correspondent (11 March 2008). "RVCE students bag highest number of gold medals". The Hindu. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "AICTE accreditation for 'flagship programme' in RVCE". The Hindu. 3 August 2000. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Top 35 Private Engineering Colleges". Outlook India. 30 June 2008. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- Outlook Rankings 2008. Outlook India. 2011-01-09.
- "Top 30 Private engineering colleges" (PDF). LiveMint. 2008. Retrieved 2009-11-16.
- "Top 30 Private engineering colleges" (PDF). LiveMint. 2009. Retrieved 2011-01-11.
- Madhok, Diksha (2009-06-10). "India's best engineering colleges". India Today. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- . Hindustan Times. 2009-06-10 https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B2LFoRQViP1FZDkyYWU4YTYtOWU5OS00MGFkLWFlYWQtNjNhYTU5MzdjOWNl&hl=en&pli=1. Retrieved 2011-01-11. Missing or empty
- "India's best engineering colleges 2011". India Today. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- "RVCE posts win". The Hindu. 22 April 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "RVCE clinches title". The Hindu. 5 March 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "MSRIT, RVCE win titles". The Hindu. 25 October 2009. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Double for RVCE". The Hindu. 30 March 2006. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "8th Mile RVCE site". RVCE. 2009-08-05. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- "A bigger ‘Peepal Tree'". The Hindu. 2 March 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Indulging in a creative experiment". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "RVCE fest from May 1". The Hindu. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Thoda hatke clubs". Deccan Chronicle. 28th, 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-16. Check date values in:
- "Welcome Studsat". The Hindu. 22 July 2010. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "PSLV countdown progressing smoothly". The Hindu. 11 July 2010. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "Racing on life's highway: Students build race car from scratch". MeriNews. 20 November 2007. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "Campus capsule". The Hindu. 5 November 2007. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "Bangalore team for aerodesign competition in Brazil". Deccan Herald. 14 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "Flying High on Innovation". The Hindu. 12 May 2008. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "RVCE students design all-terrain vehicle". The Hindu. 9 October 2006. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "IEEE RVCE Site". IEEE, RVCE Branch. 2009-12-20. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- "Winners at robotics competition". Deccan Herald. 2007-10-12. Retrieved 2009-11-16.
- "Garuda, the car that runs 180 km per litre!". Rediff news. 6 August 2008. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "RVCE Students' Garuda, a Super-mileage Car". Techtree news. 6 August 2008. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "RVCE team rocks UK motor event". Times of India. 25 July 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "Now, a water-powered auto rickshaw". rediff.com. 29 July 2009.
- "RVCE students develop hybrid e-vehicle prototype". Business Standard. 10 June 2008. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "Flight Of The Condor". Outlook India. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- M, Dhanyasree. "Anil Kumble: India's Greatest Wicket Taker". One India. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "Our Icons". Alumni Association of R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore, India. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- "Alumni". Alumni Association of R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore, India. Retrieved 2011-01-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to R.V. College of Engineering.|
- College website
- Alumni Association website1
- Alumni Association website2
- Ashwa Racing FSAE chapter of RVCE
- Team Vyoma
- College profile