R.V. College of Engineering
|Motto||Sanskrit: Prajvalitō Jñānamaya Pradīpaḥ|
Motto in English
|Light the lamp of Knowledge|
|Principal||Dr. K N Subramanya|
|Campus||Urban, 56 acres (230,000 m2), 13 km from Bangalore city on Mysore Road.|
|Colors||White and Black|
|Affiliations||Visvesvaraya Technological University|
|Sports||University level Cricket, Association Football, Badminton, Basketball|
Rashtreeya Vidyalaya College of Engineering (RVCE or RV College of Engineering, Rāshtrīya Vidyālaya Tāntrika Mahāvidyālaya) is a private technical co-educational college located in Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
Established in 1963, RVCE has 11 departments in engineering, one school in architecture, and a Master of Computer Applications department. It is affiliated to the Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. The undergraduate courses are granted academic autonomy by the university. RVCE is accredited by the All India Council for Technical Education and all its departments are accredited by the National Board of Accreditation. The college is managed by the Rashtreeya Shikshana Samiti Trust with its administrative offices located in Jayanagar, Bangalore. The Trust is chaired by Dr. Panduranga Setty.
RVCE is spread over 51.4 acres (20.8 ha) on the banks of the Vrishabhavati River in Bengaluru. The nearest commuter railway station is Jnanabharati Station, and the nearest major railway station is the Bangalore City Railway Station.
A rainwater harvesting system is typically used for gardening purposes and a large percentage of the electricity is generated by solar arrays placed atop the different departments, across the college campus.
Students are admitted to undergraduate courses on basis of their performance in either Karnataka Common Entrance Test , or in the COMED-K test. Students are also admitted through a management quota, which does not place merit requirements. There is a lateral entry scheme in place, by which students holding diploma degrees can enter directly to the second year of study in engineering. Students, upon graduating, receive a Bachelor of Engineering degree. Students are admitted to postgraduate courses on basis of their GATE test scores, as well as on their Post Graduate Karnataka CET scores.
RVCE has been recognised as a centre for excellence by the Union Government of India. In 2008, the college had the highest number of gold medal-winners among colleges affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University. The department of Mechanical engineering of RVCE is the state's first degree programme in a private institution to be accredited by the National Board of Accreditation.
|Engineering – India|
Departments and courses
These departments offer four-year undergraduate courses in engineering. All of the undergraduate courses have been conferred autonomous status by the Visvesvaraya Technological University. The following programmes are offered Aerospace Engineering, Bio-technology, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering. Computer Science And Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Electrical And Electronics Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Management, Information Science Engineering, Instrumentation Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering, FHWS RVCE has an academic collaboration with the prestigious University of Applied Sciences Wurzburg-Schweinfurt, Germany. The School of Architecture offers a five-year Bachelor of Architecture (BArch) course which has also been conferred autonomous status by the Visvesvaraya Technological University. The allied departments of the college are the departments of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Humanities along with the placement & training department.
Master of Computer Applications, Master of Technology offered by departments of Computer Science, Information Science, Electronics and Communication and Mechanical Engineering and Master of Architecture
- Student Space Technology Projects
Team Antariksh is a student satellite team established in 2015 that aims to build a nanosatellite and Sounding Rocket with a research based payload, guided and monitored by various scientists from the Indian Space Research Organisation Satellite Centre and faculty from RVCE. Started by three aerospace engineering students, as of 2017 the team has a strength of more than 50 students from all fields of engineering. The flagship project of the team is RVSAT-1, which is a 2U nanosatellite that is scheduled to be launched in 2019, carrying a microbiological payload.
StudSat is a team of students of RVCE, along with students from some other colleges in the country and the Indian Space Research Organisation, teamed up to make the first pico satellite in India, called StudSat. The pico satellite was launched by the PSLV C-15 on 12 June 2010 from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota. The camera on board has a low resolution of 90 metres. The panchromatic images are designed to provide terrain information during the satellite's short lifespan of six months to one year.
- Society of Automotive Engineers Events
Ashwa Racing is a Formula racing car that won the "Best Car from South Asia" award in the Formula Society of Automotive Engineers event in Germany. The team was also the first Indian team to compete in the FSAE event in 2005 in Australia, which won the "Best Value for Money" award. The project team has been awarded the "Young Achiever 2007" award, an award instituted by the Rotary Midtown and the Brigade Group. Team Vyoma is a student group that designs and manufactures UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) to participate in Aerodesign competitions conducted by the Society of Automotive Engineers in Marietta, GA; and in Brazil. The team is the first Asian team to compete in the Aerodesign competitions.
Team Helios Racing is a group of students who designed an All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) that can travel on muddy swamps and climb up hills. The vehicle entered the "Mini BAJA Challenge" — an international challenge in Pretoria in October 2006, and became the national champion at Baja Student India in January 2015.
- IEEE branch
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) operates a student branch in RVCE. It organises many events, some of them being a workshop LabVIEW (Laboratory Virtual Instrumentation Engineering Workbench), which is a platform and development environment for a visual programming language from National Instruments, various paper presentation competitions, and a seminar competition. IEEE PES RVCE chapter was Inaugurated in the year 2015 which organises events pertaining to Electrical Engineering.
- Other projects
Garuda, a fuel-efficient, aerodynamic car, was designed by the Mechanical engineering students. The car reportedly gives a mileage of 180 kilometers per litre of fuel. Project Garuda members were the only team from India to participate in the Shell Eco Marathon held at Rockingham Raceway, Corby, UK. Project Garuda was awarded the 'Most Persevering Team' award, which is given to the best first-time participant every year.
Eight students of the RV College of Engineering developed a vehicle consuming water as a fuel. Together, they have developed a water-powered hybrid auto rickshaw. The team has developed an inexpensive and simple retrofit kit for auto rickshaws.
In June 2008, the students developed a prototype of a hybrid-electric vehicle that uses both electric energy and diesel mixed with bio-diesel. According to The Hindu, this is the first indigenous hybrid-electric prototype in the country and among very few prototypes to use bio-diesel. The project, codenamed 'Chimera', was conceived and the prototype developed by the final year students of four engineering disciplines – Mechanical, Electrical and Computer science and Industrial engineering.
- Anil Kumble, the former coach and captain of the Indian Cricket Team
- Chetan Baboor, the former international table tennis champion and Arjuna award winner
- Asha Bhat, Miss Supranational 2014 and Bollywood actress
- National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal.
- BMS College of Engineering, Bengaluru.
- PES University, Bengaluru.
- "Quality is the motto". The Hindu. 16 August 2004. Archived from the original on 17 July 2010. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- https://rvce.edu.in/principal-rvce. Missing or empty
- "VTU Circular" (PDF). Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. 5 August 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "RVCE Departments". RVCE, Bangalore. 22 January 2010. Archived from the original on 16 January 2011. Retrieved 10 January 2011.
- "Amenities in RVCE". R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore. 5 August 2009. Archived from the original on 7 March 2011. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- CET 2010 Bulletin, Status of Engineering Seats, Karnataka Examinations Authority, Government of Karnataka, p.1-5
- "PGCET Seat Matrix" (PDF). Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. 5 August 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on 22 September 2010. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- Staff Correspondent (11 March 2008). "RVCE students bag highest number of gold medals". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 10 February 2009. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "AICTE accreditation for 'flagship programme' in RVCE". The Hindu. 3 August 2000. Archived from the original on 10 November 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
- "Winners at robotics competition". Deccan Herald. 12 October 2007. Archived from the original on 9 July 2011. Retrieved 16 November 2009.
- "Team Antariksh website". Archived from the original on 5 September 2017.
- "Welcome Studsat". The Hindu. 22 July 2010. Archived from the original on 2 March 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "PSLV countdown progressing smoothly". The Hindu. 11 July 2010. Archived from the original on 11 September 2010. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "Racing on life's highway: Students build race car from scratch". MeriNews. 20 November 2007. Archived from the original on 8 June 2011. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Campus capsule". The Hindu. 5 November 2007. Archived from the original on 11 October 2008. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Bangalore team for aerodesign competition in Brazil". Deccan Herald. 14 October 2009. Archived from the original on 19 October 2009. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Flying High on Innovation". The Hindu. 12 May 2008. Archived from the original on 8 November 2012. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "RVCE students design all-terrain vehicle". The Hindu. 9 October 2006. Archived from the original on 26 January 2012. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "IEEE RVCE Site". IEEE, RVCE Branch. 20 December 2009. Archived from the original on 7 July 2011. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Garuda, the car that runs 180 km per litre!". Rediff news. 6 August 2008. Archived from the original on 31 January 2009. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "RVCE Students' Garuda, a Super-mileage Car". Techtree news. 6 August 2008. Archived from the original on 27 September 2011. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "RVCE team rocks UK motor event". The Times of India. 25 July 2009. Archived from the original on 4 November 2016. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Now, a water-powered auto rickshaw". Rediff.com. 29 July 2009. Archived from the original on 26 March 2010.
- "RVCE students develop hybrid e-vehicle prototype". Business Standard. 10 June 2008. Archived from the original on 7 June 2011. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Flight of the Condor". Outlook India. 22 February 1999. Archived from the original on 23 January 2011. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to R.V. College of Engineering.|