|United States Attorney for the Southern District of West Virginia|
June 25, 2010 – December 31, 2015
|Preceded by||Karl Warner|
|Succeeded by||Carol Casto (Acting)|
|Born||Robert Booth Goodwin II
1971 (age 45–46)
Charleston, West Virginia, U.S.
|Alma mater||West Virginia University, Morgantown
Washington and Lee University
Robert Booth Goodwin II (born 1971), known commonly as Booth Goodwin, is an American attorney with Goodwin & Goodwin, LLP in Charleston, WV. Goodwin served as the United States Attorney for the Southern District of West Virginia from 2010-2015. Goodwin was a candidate for Governor of the State of West Virginia during the 2016 election cycle.
Early life and education
Goodwin was born in Charleston, West Virginia in 1971. He attended West Virginia University, where he graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Science in economics 1993. He then earned his Juris Doctor from Washington and Lee University School of Law in 1996.
On January 20, 2010, President Barack Obama nominated Goodwin to serve as United States Attorney for the Southern District of West Virginia. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on May 26, 2010 and was sworn into office on June 25, 2010.
On December 28, 2015, Goodwin announced that he would be stepping down from his position as U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of West Virginia effective at the end of 2015 and returning to private law practice. On January 1, 2016, Goodwin filed candidacy papers with the West Virginia Secretary of State's office to run for governor of West Virginia as a Democrat in the 2016 election.
Goodwin's father, Joseph Robert Goodwin, was appointed in 1995 by President Bill Clinton to serve as a federal judge for the United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia. Goodwin's cousin, Carte Goodwin, briefly served as the junior United States Senator from West Virginia in 2010 when he was appointed to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Robert Byrd.
- Woodrow, Stephanie (February 12, 2010). "Meet R. Booth Goodwin II". Main Justice. Retrieved March 27, 2011.
- "Alumni Spotight: Robert Booth Goodwin". West Virginia University, College of Business & Economics. Retrieved March 27, 2011.
- The White House: Office of the Press Secretary (January 20, 2010). "President Obama Nominates Five to Serve as U.S. Attorneys". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved March 27, 2011.
- "Byrd, Rockefeller Applaud Goodwin Confirmation". The State Journal. May 27, 2010. Retrieved March 27, 2011.
- Clevenger, Andrew (June 25, 2010). "Goodwin sworn in as U.S. Attorney for Southern W.Va.". The Charleston Gazette. Retrieved March 27, 2011.
- "WV Campaign Finance Pre-Candidate Listing". Retrieved January 4, 2016.
- Baxter, Anna (January 4, 2016). "Booth Goodwin files precandidacy papers to run for Governor". WSAZ. Retrieved January 4, 2016.
- Joseph Robert Goodwin at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- "Manchin Taps Carte Goodwin for Senate Seat". The State Journal. July 16, 2010. Retrieved March 27, 2011.
- Charleston Daily Mail
|United States Attorney for the Southern District of West Virginia