R. G. Kar Medical College and Hospital
|Dean||Anup Kumar Das|
Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Affiliations||West Bengal University of Health Sciences|
R. G. Kar Medical College and Hospital is a medical school and hospital in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. Though now a government college, it claims to be the first non-governmental medical college to be established in Asia. It was founded to ensure self sufficiency (Swaraj) in medical education and services in the colonial era. It was earlier under University of Calcutta (1916-2003) and was affiliated to West Bengal University of Health Sciences when it was established in 2003. It has the largest government run hospital in the state of West Bengal,India. R.G. Kar Medical college and Hospital completed 100 years of its service in the year 2016 (1916-2016).
Established in 1886 as The Calcutta School of Medicine, it had no affiliated hospital and practiced out of the small Mayo Hospital. In 1902, it moved to its own complex, including a school building and hospital. In 1904, it merged with the National College of Physicians and Surgeons of Bengal and, after a period of further growth, was renamed as The Belgachia Medical College in 1916. From 1918 to 1948, the college was known as Carmichael Medical College in honor of Thomas Gibson-Carmichael, who was the Governor of Bengal when the college was inaugurated (1916). The institution was given its current name on 12 May 1948 to honor Dr. Radha Govinda Kar who first conceived of it. In May 1958, the college came under the control of the government of Indian state of West Bengal.
|University and college rankings|
|Medical - India|
|India Today (2017)||11|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to R. G. Kar Medical College and Hospital.|
- World Health Organization (1 January 2000). World Directory of Medical Schools. World Health Organization. p. 144. ISBN 978-92-4-150010-4.
- "About R G Kar Medical College & Hospital". www.rgkarmch.org. R G Kar Medical College and Hospital. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- Chakrabarti, Dilip Kumar; Ramanuj Mukherjee; Samik Kumar Bandyopadhyay; Sasanka Nath; Saibal Kumar Mukherjee (October 2011). "R.G.Kar Medical College, Kolkata—A Premiere Institute of India". Indian Journal of Surgery. 73 (73(5)): 390–393. doi:10.1007/s12262-011-0327-1. PMC . PMID 23024555.
- "History". R.G. Kar Medical College. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- Official website of R. G. Kar Medical College and Hospital Batch 1982-1987 Archived 2014-07-13 at the Wayback Machine., History of R. G. Kar Medical College and Hospital
- Directory of Medical Colleges in India. Central Bureau of Health Intelligence, Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India. 1976. p. 282.
- "India's Best Colleges 2017: Medical". India Today. 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2017.