R. J. Palacio
R. J. Palacio
July 13, 1963
Palacio began her career as an art director and graphic designer, designing book jackets for Paul Auster, Thomas Pynchon and others. During the course of her career she designed many hundreds of book covers, covering both fiction and non-fiction books. She also illustrated several children's books that she wrote herself.
Palacio was the daughter of Colombian immigrants and was born in New York City on July 13, 1963. She attended Manhattan's High School of Art & Design and majored in illustration at the Parsons School of Design. She spent a year at the American University of Paris, travelling widely throughout Europe, before returning to New York. She currently lives in New York City together with her husband and two sons Caleb and Joseph.
Awards and honors
She was a recipient of the Christopher Award for Wonder in 2013, and the Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award in 2014. Wonder was on The New York Times Best Seller list  and was also on the Texas Bluebonnet Award master list. The book was the winner of the 2014 Maine Student Book Award, Vermont's Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award, the 2015 Mark Twain Award, Hawaii's 2015 Nene Award, 2015 Young Hoosier Book Award (Intermediate) and the Junior Young Reader's Choice Award for 2015. In Illinois, it won both the Bluestem and Caudill Awards in 2014.
- "About R.J. Palacio". wonderthebook.com. Retrieved January 31, 2020.
- Russo, Maria (December 20, 2016). "R. J. Palacio and Meg Medina Talk Diversity and Children's Books". The New York Times.
- "'Wonder' author R.J. Palacio isn't resting on 16 million copies sold". New York Post. 2019-09-30. Retrieved 2020-01-03.
- "R.J. Palacio". The Library of Congress. 2019-08-31. Retrieved 2020-01-03.
- "Author". Rjpalacio.com.
- Taylor, Ihsan. "Best Sellers". The New York Times. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Texas Bluebonnet Award Annotated 2013-2014 Master List" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 June 2013. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- Children's Book Award Winners Announced at Maine Reading Conference". Maine.gov. 10 April 2014. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Wonder Selected as 2015 Nene Award Winner". Mauinow.com. 10 April 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Past Winners: Young Hoosier Book Award" (PDF).
- "YRCA 2015". Pnla.org. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Champagne Library Illinois Award Winners". Archived from the original on 19 October 2016.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: R. J. Palacio|