R. K. Srikantan
Rudrapatna Krishnashastri Srikantan (14 January 1920 – 17 February 2014) was a vocalist of the Carnatic musical tradition of South Indian music. He was awarded the Madras Music Academy's Sangeetha Kalanidhi in 1995.
Srikantan was born to a Sankethi Brahmin family in Rudrapatna, Hassan district of Karnataka, on Makara Sankranti day, 14 January 1920. His father R Krishnashastri was an orator, singer of Gamaka (storytelling), playwright, poet, and a harikatha vidwan. His grandfather, Narayanaswamy of Bettadapura, also known as Veena Narayanaswamy was a Veena instrumentalist and a contemporary of Veene Sheshanna and Veene Subbanna.
His father Krishnashastri was Srikantan's first tutor and he moved to Mysore after his wife's death. Later, Srikantan was mentored by his brother R. K. Venkatarama Shastri. He also received training from veteran musicians like Veene Subbanna and Chowdiah
This section does not cite any sources. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Srikantan was an avid attendee at all concerts in Mysore during the era of the Wodeyars. Srikantan during those days was highly influenced by the Nadaswaram vidwans of his time. He was also highly influenced by maestros of the likes of Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, Musiri Subramania Iyer, G N Balasubramaniam and Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer.
Srikantan's singing is characterised by sahitya shuddham (correct pronunciation and diction) and shruti shuddham (refinement of pitch).
Among the award received by Srikantan are:
- Central Sangeet Natak Akademi Award by the Government of India in 1979.
- State Sangeet Natak Akademi Award by the Government of Karnataka in 1981.
- Sangeetha Kalanidhi Title from the Madras Music Academy in 1995.
- Kanaka-Purandara Award by the Government of Karnataka.
- Padma Bhushan Award by Government of India in 2011.
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Tagore Ratna in 2012.
- Sangeetha Prabhakara Award in 2013
- Nada Vidya Bharati Award in 2012 by Visakha Music and Dance Academy.
- Sathguru Thyagaraja Hamsadhwani Award in 2011
- Gana Bhaskara Title by Annavasathi Sangha, Bangalore in 1947.
- Best Teacher Title by the Bangalore city corporation in 1973.
- Ganakala Praveen Title by the Guru Seva Mandali, Bangalore in 1976.
- Karanataka Sangeeta Ratna under the joint auspices of Sri. Parthasarathy Sabha, Forum of music lovers and Saraswati Gana Sabha, Bangalore in 1978.
- Gayakachoodamani Title by the Tulaseevana Sangeetha Parishath, Trivendrum, in 1983.
- T.T.K. Memorial Award by the Music Academy, Madras in 1983 as the best Musician.
- Haridasa Award by the Purandara Pratishthana, Bangalore in 1991.
- Palant Subramanya Pillai Award by Percussive Art Centre, B'lore in 1992.
- Chowdaiah National Level Award by Academy of Music, 1994.
- Saptagiri Sangeetha Vidwanmani by Thyagaraja Trust, Tirupathi, 1994.
- Karnataka Rajya Sangeetha Vidwan Title by Government of Karnataka in the year 1994.
Srikantan rendered teaching programs on the radio (On Amruthavarshini 100.1 FM).
Srikantan died on 17 February 2014 after a brief illness.
Some of Srikantan's disciples include his son R S Ramakanth, M. S. Sheela, T S Satyavati, R A Ramamani, M T Selvanarayana, Amith Nadig and H. K. Narayana. His daughter Ratnamala Prakash is also his disciple, who achieved fame and success in Sugama Sangeetha or light music. 
- Govind, Ranjani (18 February 2014). "R.K. Srikantan passes away". The Hindu. The Hindu Group. Archived from the original on 5 April 2014. Retrieved 7 October 2018.
- Ramanan, Sumana (18 February 2014). "RK Srikantan, last link to a golden age of Carnatic music, dies at 94". Scroll.in. Scroll Media. Archived from the original on 7 October 2018. Retrieved 7 October 2018.
- RAMNARAYAN, GOWRI (12 January 2007). "Purity of the highest order". Chennai: The Hindu. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- SNA Awardees List Archived 30 May 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Sangita Kalanidhi R.K. Srikantankiik". Archived from the original on 15 December 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- Recipients of Sangita Kalanidhi Archived 4 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Padma Awards Announced" (Press release). Ministry of Home Affairs. 25 January 2011. Retrieved 26 January 2011.
- "Award for R. K. Srikantan". India: The Hindu. 1 November 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Award for R. K. Srikantan". India: The Hindu. 12 August 2012. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Musician R. K Srikantan honoured with award". India: The Hindu. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- Face-to-Face with Sangeeta Kalanidhi R.K.Srikantan « ಅಲ್ಲಿದೆ ನಮ್ಮ ಮನೆ
- ThatsKannada.com - Face to Face with R.K. Srikantan, exponent of Carnataic Music
- MusicalNirvana - R K Srikantan