R. P. Patnaik
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
R. P. Patnaik
Ravindra Prasad Patnaik is an Indian music composer with more than 75 films to his credits in three south Indian languages (Telugu, Tamil and Kannada (about 30 films)). He won three Filmfare Awards and three Nandi Awards. His Mother tongue is Telugu, though he was born in Orissa while his father was working in Orissa.
Patnaik had entered the film industry with a desire to become a film director, and began first as a music director. It was after cinematographer-turned-director Teja gave him a break, that Patnaik made his directorial debut with the 2008 film Andamaina Manasulo. As of March 2016, he finished his fifth Telugu language film Tulasi Dalam. His brother Gautam Patnaik is a director who made his directorial debut with Keratam (2011).
Patnaik received the Filmfare Award three times consecutively for the films Nuvvu Nenu, Santosham and Excuse Me, and apart from receiving the Andhra Pradesh state Nandi Award for the film Nuvvu Nenu in 2001, he has won awards from different cultural organisations in and outside the state and country for his music. His film Mnalo Okadu received Third Best Feature Film award for 2016 Nandi Awards
His first ever live show for the public gathered about 600,000 people along the Vizag sea shore on 20 July 2002. Since then he has performed in The US, UK, Dubai, Kuwait, Singapore, Delhi, Chennai and every part of Andhra Pradesh,Telangana State. Some of his albums like Jayam have sold about 2.5 million units (CDs and Cassettes) just in one regional state.
As a singer, apart from singing in his own composition, he has sung for almost all the lead composers including Maestro Ilayaraja and has sung about 300 songs.
He composed an international album, first of its kind in the world, on time signatures called Chaakra the Signature of Time which he applied for prestigious Grammy Awards.
Patnaik had done his Bachelors of science in Rayagada Autonomous College, Rayagada, Odisha .
Apart from music, he made his acting debut in the 2004 Telugu film named Seenu Vasanthi Lakshmi in which he played a blind singer and got a very good applause for his outstanding performance and in 2010 he acted in Broker.
Patnaik's first directed film was the experimental short 22 minutes, in which the entire 22-minute film is a single scene and edge-of-the-seat screenplay. The experiment is the characters which are seen don't speak and the characters which are heard not seen.
He acted, produced, directed, composed music for the 2016 film Tulasi Dalam. In 2016 after getting huge positive response from the public for his Directorial movie Broker on Corruption, He dared to question media's Ego and its ignorance in collecting their News with his movie MANALO OKADU.
Following upon his work as a music composer and music director, Patnaik began directing films, and has directed 6 feature films till date. In 2008, he directed his first film, Andamaina Manasulo, a musical love story of a 13-year-old girl falling in love with a 21-year boy and with a message on how should be an ideal orphanage. His second released film in December 2010 was Broker, about political brokers, the film was shortlisted for final race in the National Awards. Both these released films had him receive two Nandi awards for Best Story Writer for the years 2008 and 2010.
In 2012, he directed a bi-lingual film, titled Friends Book in Telugu and Mugaputtagam in Tamil, about the strength of social network.
In 2013, he directed a supernatural thriller film in 2013 titled Amy. The film is set in a different backdrop in the USA about Amish community.
In 2016, he Directed and Acted in movie Manalo Okadu.
- Andamaina Manasulo (2008)
- Broker (2010)
- Friends Book (2012)
- Amy (2013)
- Tulasi Dalam (2016)
- Vyuha (2014)
- Manalo Okkadu (2016)
- Seenu Vasanthi Lakshmi (2004) as Seenu
- Andamaina Manasulo (2008) as Doctor
- Broker (2010) as Ganapathi
- Tulasi Dalam (2016) as Dr.Tilak
- Manalo Okkadu (2016) as Physics Lecturer Krishnamurthy
- Excuse Me (2003)
- Jootata (2005)
- Inspector Dayanayak (2005)
- Aakash (2005)
- Siddu (2005)
- Honeymoon Express (2006)
- Student (2006)
- Dattha (2006)
- Uppi Dada M.B.B.S. (2006)
- Odahuttidavalu (2006)
- Tenali Rama (2006)
- Ee Preethi Yeke Bhoomi Melide (2006)
- Savi Savi Nenapu (2007)
- Police Story 2 (2007)
- Ugadi (2007)
- Kshana Kshana (2007)
- Vamshi (2008)
Awards and nominations
- 2001, Best Music Director – Telugu - Nuvvu Nenu
- 2002, Best Music Director – Telugu - Santosham
- 2003, Best Music Director – Kannada - Excuse Me
- 2001, Best Music Director - Nuvvu Nenu
- 2008, Best Story Writer - Andamaina Manasulo
- 2010, Best Story Writer - Broker
- 2016, Nandi Award for Best Third Feature film - "Manalo Okkadu"
- Patnaik, Santosh (31 December 2007). "Delicacies, entertainment await ISC delegates". The Hindu. Chennai. p. 1.
- staff (16 February 2008). "Andamaina Manasulo Review". Oneindia. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- staff (8 September 2007). "RP Patnaik takes up direction". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Shekhar (11 March 2013). "Thulasidhalam is a horror-thriller: RP Patnaik". Oneindia. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "Composer Patnaik turns director with 'Andhamaina Manasulo and Broker'". The Hindustan Times. New Delhi. 9 September 2007.
- G, Jalapathy (14 August 2005). "22 Minutes (Short film) -Review". Telugucinema. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- staff (11 March 2013). "R P Patnaik's Tulasidalam". Sify. Retrieved 13 August 2013.