This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Parent company||Cambridge Information Group|
|Headquarters location||New York City|
|Key people||Annie Callanan, CEO & President|
R.R. Bowker LLC ("Bowker") is an American limited liability company based in New Providence, New Jersey, and incorporated in Delaware. Among other things, Bowker provides bibliographic information on published works to the book trade, including publishers, booksellers, libraries, and individuals; its roots in the industry trace back to 1868. Bowker is the exclusive U.S. agent for issuing International Standard Book Numbers (ISBNs), a universal method of identifying books in print. Bowker is the publisher of Books in Print and other compilations of information about books and periodical titles. It provides supply chain services and analytical tools to the book publishing industry. Bowker is headquartered in New Providence, New Jersey, with additional operational offices in England and Australia. It is now owned by Cambridge Information Group.
The company was founded by Frederick Leypoldt, a German immigrant who worked as a bookseller and recognized the need for good bibliographic information to make the book business more efficient. He established the monthly Literary Bulletin, his first periodical, in 1868. In 1870 Leypoldt issued the first edition of his Annual American Catalogue, the forerunner for Books In Print. In 1872 he published the first issue of Publishers Weekly, in 1873 the first Publishers' Uniform Trade-List Annual (later the Publishers Trade List Annual), and in 1876 the first issue of Library Journal. In 1878 Leypoldt's company was acquired by Richard Rogers Bowker. Leypoldt and Bowker also founded two influential standard book-industry references: Literary Marketplace and Ulrich's Periodicals Directory.
In 1967, the Xerox Corporation acquired the R. R. Bowker company, and then, in 1985, sold it to Reed International (now Reed Elsevier). That same year, in 1985, Publishers Weekly—after 113 years as a part of R.R. Bowker—was transferred to the Cahners Publishing Company. In 2001, Cambridge Information Group acquired Bowker. In 2007, Cambridge Information Group merged Cambridge Scientific Abstracts with ProQuest Information and Learning to form ProQuest LLC, a privately held limited liability company based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and incorporated in Delaware. R. R. Bowker LLC was repositioned as an affiliate of ProQuest.[clarification needed]
- Books in Print lists nearly all books that are currently available in English and in the United States from major publishers. A resource for bookstores, libraries, and publishers, it is available in a print version, but is most often accessed electronically. Books in Print listings are several million, a number that is only exceeded by Amazon.
- The Library and Book Trade Almanac (formerly The Bowker Annual) is a resource for librarians, publishers, and booksellers which provides reviews of "key trends, events, and developments" in the industry; statistics on book prices, numbers of books published, library expenditures, and average salaries; explanations of new legislation and changes in funding programs; and other information.
- Books+Publishing is an Australian trade magazine for the publishing industry.
Bowker is the United States provider of International Standard Book Numbers (ISBNs), a code for identifying commercial books devised by Gordon Foster in 1967. An ISBN is currently placed on a book to uniquely identify it. ISBNs are available one at a time and in blocks up to 100,000 for a set fee. ISBNs may be purchased and maintained at Bowker's My Identifiers website www.myidentifiers.com. Many countries, including the UK, Italy, Germany, Spain, to name a few, charge for ISBNs. Canada and Mexico provide ISBNs free of charge as their ISBN agencies are government funded. Bowker USA charges $125 for one ISBN and offers substantial discounts on volume purchases.
- American Architects Directory
- Robert Freeman Asleson (1935–2010), former president of R.R. Bowker
- Bowker's Law Books and Serials in Print
- Jacques Cattell
- Eric Moon (born 1923), former editor-in-chief of the Library Journal, a publication of R.R. Bowker
- Variety Film Reviews
- Who's Who in American Art
- "Bowker Investigating Breach of ISBN Site". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Company Overview of R.R. Bowker LLC" Bloomberg Businessweek (accessed April 17, 2014)
- "Bowker Moves Forward Under New Ownership", by Jim Milliot, Publishers Weekly, Vol. 249, No. 2, January 14, 2002, p. 11; ISSN 0000-0019
- Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science, Allen Kent (ed.), New York: Marcel Dekker (1970), pp. 133–148; OCLC 58646542
- Mary H. Munroe (2004). "Cambridge Information Group Timeline". The Academic Publishing Industry: A Story of Merger and Acquisition. Archived from the original on October 2014 – via Northern Illinois University.
- ProQuest website — "Company history"
- The Library and Book Trade Almanac 2009 54th ed., Medford, New Jersey: Information Today, Inc.; ISSN 2150-5446
- "Bowker’s Andy Weissberg on ISBNs and the Future", by Joel Friedlander, The Book Designer, May 19, 2010, (accessed February 12, 2011)
- Government of Canada. "ISBN Canada". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- Government of Mexico. "Agencia Nacional ISBN México". Secretaria de Cultura. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- "Purchase ISBNs". Bowker. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- Official website
- My Identifiers
- R.R. Bowker Company at Library of Congress Authorities, with 120 catalog records
HACKED R.R. Bowker said it has learned that unauthorized charges were occurring on cards after they were legitimately used on its www[.]myidentifiers[.]com website, which is responsible for issuing ISBNs. The company said its preliminary investigation has found unauthorized code that was added to the checkout page on the MyIdentifiers site. The investigation is looking to confirm that the breach took place from 01 MAY 2018 through 23 OCT 2018.
- myid50_super_admin (2018-11-04). "A Message to MyIdentifiers Customers". www.myidentifiers.com. Retrieved 2018-11-06.