R142A (New York City Subway car)
An R142A train on the approaching Parkchester.
|Manufacturer||Kawasaki Rail Car Company|
|Built at||Yonkers, New York, United States
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
Kobe, Hyōgo, Japan
|Family name||NTT (new technology train)|
|Replaced||R26, R28, R29, R33, R33 WF, R36, R36 WF|
|Entered service||July 10, 2000|
(cars 7211–7590 only)
|Number in service||220 (160 in revenue service during rush hours)|
|Formation||5-car sets (2 A cars and 3 B cars)|
|Fleet numbers||7211–7810 (as built)
|Capacity||176 (A car)
188 (B car)
|Operator(s)||New York City Subway|
|Depot(s)||Jerome Yard (155 cars)
Pelham Yard (95 cars)
|Service(s) assigned|| – 130 cars (13 trains)
– 30 cars (3 trains, AM rush)
–cars (4 trains, PM rush)
|Car body construction||Stainless steel with fiberglass end bonnets|
|Train length||513.3 feet (156.5 m)|
|Car length||51.33 feet (15.65 m)|
|Width||8.60 feet (2,621 mm)|
|Height||11.89 feet (3,624 mm)|
|Platform height||3.6458 ft (1.11 m)|
|Doors||6 per car|
|Maximum speed||55 mph (89 km/h) Service
70 mph (110 km/h) Design
|Weight||73,300 lb (33,200 kg) (A car)
67,800 lb (30,800 kg) (B car)
|Traction system||Bombardier MITRAC propulsion system,
3-Phase AC Traction Motors Model 1508C
|Power output||150 hp (111.855 kW) per motor axle; 2,100 hp (1,565.970 kW) per 5-car set|
|Acceleration||2.5 mph/s (4.0 km/(h·s))|
|Deceleration||3.0 mph/s (4.8 km/(h·s))
3.2 mph/s or 5.1 km/(h·s)
|Auxiliaries||SAFT 195 AH battery (B car)|
|Power supply||Third rail|
|Electric system(s)||625 V DC|
|Current collection method||Contact shoe|
|Braking system(s)||Dynamic braking propulsion system; WABCO RT-96 tread brake system|
|Safety system(s)||dead man's switch, tripcock, emergency brakes|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The R142A, along with the R142, are the first and second part of the fourth generation of somewhat similar new technology cars (NTTs) for the A Division of the New York City Subway. These cars were built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries in Japan. Along with the R142s, they replaced the Redbird trains, including the R26, R28, R29, R33, R33 WF, R36, and R36 WF. The R142As were built as fleet numbers #7211–7810, but only the cars from #7591–7810 are currently R142As; cars #7211–7590 were converted into R188s.
The R142A cars were built by Kawasaki at Kobe, Hyōgo, Japan with final assembly performed at Kawasaki Railcar Corp.'s American Facilities located at Lincoln, NE, USA & Yonkers, NY, USA from 1999 through 2004, and have many of the same features as the R142, built by Bombardier. The 400 R142A cars of the main order are numbered #7211–7610; the 120 option cars are numbered #7611–7730. Eighty cars, built under a supplemental contract as the R142S, were built by Kawasaki in 2003-04 to supplement the R142As. They are numbered as #7731–7810. They are mechanically and physically identical to all other R142As, and are considered part of the R142A fleet.
The first ten R142A cars, #7211–7220 were delivered on December 10, 1999. Regular service began on the 6 on July 10, 2000 after several months of testing and the ironing out of all bugs. The cars maintained at the Jerome Yard run on the 4 while the cars maintained at the Westchester Yard run on the 6.
Cars #7211–7590 (a total of 380 cars) have been retrofitted with CBTC for Flushing Line CBTC service and were converted to R188s.  Cars #7591-7810 (the remaining 220 cars) are to remain unconverted.
- New Technology Train - A list of all NTT trains on the New York City Subway.
- R142 (New York City Subway car) - a similar car built by Bombardier in Plattsburgh, New York and Barre, Vermont
- R188 (New York City Subway car) - a similar car equipped with CBTC built by Kawasaki Railcar Corp., most of which are rebuilt from R142As.
- New York Subway Barn Assignments – November 6, 2016
- "Some New Subway Cars Put Into Service Monday" NY1–10 July 2000. Retrieved on 2008-04-24
- "NYCT Cars - Current Car Fleet". thejoekorner.com.
- "Image: dsc05585j.jpg, (3456 × 2592 px)". img821.imageshack.us. 2012-01-20. Retrieved 2015-09-04.
- "Image: dsc05671vd.jpg, (3456 × 2592 px)". img109.imageshack.us. 2012-02-07. Retrieved 2015-09-04.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUENJiceIMQ Car #7220 is visible at 3:20 in the video clearly and is also shown in the rest of the video
Media related to R142A (New York City Subway car) at Wikimedia Commons