R142A (New York City Subway car)
|R142A (New York City Subway car)|
An R142A train in service approaches Parkchester.
|Manufacturer||Kawasaki Rail Car Company|
|Built at||Yonkers, NY, USA
Lincoln, NE, USA and
Kobe, Hyōgo, Japan
|Replaced||R26, R28, R29, R33, R33 WF, R36, R36 WF|
(cars 7211-7510 already rebuilt as R188s; 7511-7590 will also be rebuilt as R188s)
|Number in service||300 (280 in revenue service during rush hours)|
|Formation||5-car sets (2 A cars and 3 B cars)|
|Fleet numbers||7211-7810 (as built)
7591-7810 (after full R188 conversion in 2016)
|Capacity||176 (A car)
188 (B car)
|Operator||New York City Subway|
|Depot(s)||Jerome Yard, Pelham Yard|
|Car body construction||Stainless steel with fiberglass end bonnets|
|Train length||513.3 feet (156.5 m)|
|Car length||51.33 feet (15.65 m)|
|Width||8.60 feet (2,621 mm)|
|Height||11.89 feet (3,624 mm)|
|Platform height||3.6458 ft (1.11 m)|
|Doors||6 per car|
|Maximum speed||55 mph (89 km/h) Service
70 mph (110 km/h) Design
|Weight||73,300 lb (33,200 kg) (A car)
67,800 lb (30,800 kg) (B car)
|Traction system||Bombardier MITRAC propulsion system,
3-Phase AC Traction Motors Model 1508C
|Power output||150 hp (111.855 kW) per motor axle; 2,100 hp (1,565.970 kW) per 5-car set|
|Acceleration||2.5 mph/s (4.0 km/(h·s))|
|Deceleration||2.5 mph/s (4.0 km/(h·s))
3.2 mph/s or 5.1 km/(h·s)
|Auxiliaries||SAFT 195 AH battery (B car)|
|Power supply||Third rail|
|Electric system(s)||625 V DC|
|Current collection method||Contact shoe|
|Braking system(s)||Dynamic braking propulsion system; WABCO RT-96 tread brake system|
|Safety system(s)||emergency brakes|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The R142A cars were built by Kawasaki at Kobe, Hyōgo, Japan with final assembly performed at Kawasaki Railcar Corp.'s American Facilities located at Lincoln, NE, USA & Yonkers, NY, USA from 1999 through 2004, and have many of the same features as the R142, built by Bombardier. The 400 R142A cars of the main order are numbered 7211-7610; the 120 option cars are numbered 7611-7730. Eighty cars, built under supplemental contract R142S, were built by Kawasaki in 2003-04 to supplement the R142As. They are numbered as 7731-7810. They are mechanically and physically identical to all other R142As, and are considered part of the R142A fleet.
The first ten R142A cars numbered 7211-7220 were delivered in December 1999. Regular service began on the 6 train on July 10, 2000 after several months of testing. The cars maintained at the Jerome Yard run on the 4 while the cars maintained at the Westchester Yard run on the 6.
Between the R142s and R142As
- The R142A's external speakers have a narrower rim around the edges than those on the R142.
- The interior speakers on the R142A are recessed into the curved portion of the ceiling while the R142s speakers are located in the middle of the ceiling.
- The R142As have different AC traction motors than the R142. The R142s use Alstom AC traction motors, which are very similar to the ones used on the R160A cars and many R160B cars, while the R142A's use Bombardier (formerly Adtranz) AC traction motors which are identical to the ones used on the R143 cars.
- B cars have traction motors at the number one end.
- The R142A car ends consist of a single fiberglass piece, while the front consists of two separate portions, one fiberglass and one stainless on the R142.
- The LCD destination signs and LED interior passenger information signs on the R142 turn-off when changing, while the ones on the R142A switch without turning off.
- R142 cars have a dot-matrix LCD route number display and mosaic LCD destination on the side destination signs, while R142A cars have a mosaic LCD for both the route and destination on the side destination signs.
- The interior LED displays on R142s have a white border and are closer to the ceiling than the R142A/R188's light grey-bordered displays.
- The interior red door indicator lights on R142s are directly above the doors near its corners and point downwards towards the floor while the R142A's interior red door indicator lights are located just to the left and right of the doors and point towards the opposite wall.
- The flashing orange closing door lights are slightly larger on the R142s.
- The car end lexan glass windows open through a few tiny screws on R142s compared to the keyhole on the R142As.
- The R142 and R142A utilize different truck designs. The R142 utilizes Bombardier trucks while the R142A utilizes Kawasaki trucks.
- The two cars have different HVAC systems. The R142's HVAC is noticeably louder.
- R142A cars contain two more advertising panels than R142 cars.
- The front windows on the R142s are less abruptly curved than the R142As.
- The windows on the front doors of the R142As are smaller than those on the front doors of the R142s.
- The door handles on the car end doors leading from one car to another are different on the R142s and R142As.
- The numbers on the R142A's cars are in Akzidenz-Grotesk font while those on the R142 cars are in New York City's traditional Helvetica lettering.
Between the R142As and R188s
- The R188s have Communications-based train control, while the R142As do not.
- The R188s have sets consisting of 6 cars and 5 cars, while the R142As have sets of 5 cars only.
- The Numbers on the newer R188s are a bolder version of Helvetica lettering similar to the R160.
- R142 (New York City Subway car) - a similar car built by Bombardier in Plattsburgh, New York and Barre, Vermont
- R188 (New York City Subway car) - a similar car equipped with CBTC built by Kawasaki Railcar Corp., most of which are to be rebuilt from R142As.
- New York Subway Barn Assignments
. December 2014
- "Some New Subway Cars Put Into Service Monday" NY1 – 10 July 2000. Retrieved on 2008-04-24
- "NYCT Cars - Current Car Fleet". thejoekorner.com.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUENJiceIMQ Car 7220 is visible at 3:20 in the video clearly and is also shown in the rest of the video
- IRT 5 Train to Manhattan, at 238th Street. YouTube. 2 November 2008.
- YouTube. youtube.com.
- YouTube. youtube.com.
- "Showing Image 74505". nycsubway.org.
- YouTube. youtube.com.
- "Showing Image 47237". nycsubway.org.
- "Showing Image 47211". nycsubway.org.
- "Showing Image 130320". nycsubway.org.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to R142A (New York City Subway car).|
- Kawasaki - R142A
- nycsubway.org - NYC Subway Cars: R142
- Educated » Blog Archive » Subway Sounds: R-142A
- Car Status/Assignment
- IRT Car Assignments - June 14, 2015
- New York City Subway Car Fleet June 2010 through June 2015